CHAPTER 5

Song: "Not 20 anymore" - by Bebe Rexha.

*******************

Daxton's most recent phone call was the catalyst. Her parents' tempers had been brimming at that point, but the latest development had it spilling right over the pots' edge. What followed was nothing short of catastrophic. One thing was certain, her parents were completely against the whole scheme. She could see their reasoning; the plan was ludicrous but, she was adamant to go through with it. Daxton and Cameron were both relying on her and, though she'd rather have no contact with Cameron, she found the whole thing exciting.

Convincing her parents was the hard part and a part she had failed to take into consideration. Now, she was stuck in the house, unofficially on house arrest at age thirty. Daxton was in their living room beside her. She could feel the tension in him. She'd never known him to be so quiet. Her parents on the other hand, hadn't stopped talking- well yelling really.

"This is absurd. Ridiculous and dangerous. Why would you ever think something so outrageously stupid could work?" Her father ranted loudly. She could hear his feet scrape roughly against the wooden floor.

"Da-"

"It's stupid, that's what this all is," her mother interrupted.

"Mo-"

"It's not happening. I refuse to allow you to be a part of this scheme. You're looking for trouble." Her dad interrupted.

"Do you even know these men? They could be rapists!" Her mother shrieked and Mikayla couldn't help but chuckle at the thought.

"And what is so funny about that young lady?" Her father chastised and she stopped laughing.

"Nothing," she whispered. Now was not the time to be getting them angrier.

Her father sighed loudly before moving around the room. She heard him fall into his seat and judging by the direction of the sound, she reasoned he now sat on the left of her, next to her mother. "I can't believe you'd put us through this."

Mikayla hated how worried her father sounded. Hurting them was never on the agenda but she'd failed to consider collateral damage. Maybe her parents were right, the plan was crazy. Who was she- a blind, average looking woman- to put herself into the lives of the rich and famous? She was simply kidding herself.

"Mr. and Mrs. Hudson, I understand your concerns with this but, Mikayla is a grown woman and she's capable of being in charge of her own decisions. If she feels this is the right thing to do, then no one should be able to change her mind." Daxton spoke up from beside her and Mikayla was sure she felt some warmth in her chest at his defense of her. It was new and she wasn't sure what to make of it.

"Watch your mouth," her father growled. Mikayla hung her head and nibbled her lip. The conversation was going nowhere. It appeared they were at a stalemate. Her and Daxton had already explained everything, but her parents weren't changing their minds. At this point, there were only two choices: listen to her parents or, disobey them.

She turned to Daxton. "Do you truly believe your plan will work?"

"I want it to. Frankly, I've got no other choice but to have hope."

It wasn't the confirmation she needed but the raspy desperation in his voice was. She had to try, just like Daxton. Neither could stand by and let the cracks appear. If they could glue it together before then, then that's what they were going to do.

She turned back towards her parents. "I'm going to do this." She made sure to sound confident though she felt none of it.

"You are not!" Her father argued.