CHAPTER 24

Song: "We are young" - Fun ft. Janelle Monae.

*********************

Mikayla looked equal parts confused and mad. Daxton wasn't sure which emotion she was focusing on. He hoped for the former.

"I'd like to know the same thing," grouched Cameron. He looked mad. His hands had stopped shaking so violently. His fear had dissolved into frustration. Daxton could handle that. He couldn't handle a scared Cameron. It was the only think that weakened him.

"I don't have time to talk about this." He answered them quickly. Both Cameron and Mikayla glared at him.

"You're hiding something." said Mikayla. He nodded. He wasn't going to deny it. He didn't want to make things worse. It didn't mean he was going to expose his secret though.

"What are you hiding from me?" asked Cameron. "What has you so set on fixing my reputation?"

"It's complicated," muttered Daxton.

"It involves my life. Uncomplicate it."

Daxton pinched the bridge of his nose. Cameron was immature and ignorant of the world. Things were always so simple to him. Where Daxton would see a massive, intricate web of chaos, Cameron saw one string with one solution. His brother failed to see the seriousness of any problem. He was delusional and he was simply proving it more. This was one problem he was set on ensuring Cameron never tried to solve.

Daxton bent down to collect his laptop. He looked at his watch and groaned. He had a meeting to go to. "I need to go." He told them.

"Where are you going?" asked Mikayla.

"It's almost evening," commented Cameron.

Daxton ignored them both as he gathered his things in his bag. He grabbed his car keys before looking at them. "I've got a meeting with Crazy Pipes Studios. There's a film they're in the process of producing and I'm trying to convince them to hire you as the lead. If this meeting is successful, we're on track with our plan. Things will finally be looking up for us."

Cameron's smile widened. His previous anger vanished as he rushed towards Daxton and hugged him tight. "Yes! This is fantastic. What's the film about?"

"Not sure of all the details. I'll find out now at the meeting."

"Well, go then." Cameron pushed him towards the entrance. Daxton was happy he'd forgotten about their little disagreement. Mikayla still stood in the entryway. He stopped in front of her and frowned at her crestfallen expression.

"What's wrong Mickey?"

"Nothing," she whispered. "I'm glad everything is working out. At least I've been of help." He watched her swallow. "I need to go to my room." She left quickly with her hand travelling along the wall. He watched her with a crooked brow. Something was off. He just knew it. If only he could figure out what was wrong.

Daxton turned to look at Cameron. Cameron's eyes were also trained on where Mikayla had left. "That was odd, right?" he asked his brother.

Cameron nodded. "What do you suppose got her so upset?"

Daxton sighed. He rubbed at his neck and then glanced at his watch. "Shoot! I really need to leave. Will you keep an eye out for her? Maybe talk to her and see what's bothering her so much?"

Cameron nodded. "I've got your back. Besides, she's my fiancée, right? I've got to support and comfort her." He winked at Daxton and strolled towards where Mikayla had disappeared. Daxton felt like throwing up. Too bad it would need to wait until after his meeting.