Facts about Romanticism

... as suggested by Survivors_Fan. If I'm honest, this will also help me for my German exam...

871. Romanticism actually has nothing to do with our understanding of romance today. Popular motifs of the romantic era were mystery, magic, the feeling of longing or yearning and nature.

872.  Romanticism spans the years from 1795 to 1840, the period in which the Industrial Revolution occurred. Romanticism was actually a something like a countermovement to the Industrial Revolution.  

873. The so called "Dark Romanticism" inspired gothic novels like Frankenstein. Dark romantic works focused on the rising of evil or supernatural beings

874

874. Romantic artists didn't only reject the Industrial Revolution but also the ideas of the Enlightenment and the rising of sciences because they left no secrets and they "disenchanted" nature.

875. For the first time in the history of art, landscapes became a significant subject for paintings.

876. Important romantic artists are Caspar David Friedrich who is famous for showing the power of nature in his paintings and Fransisco Goya whose artwork was rather dark. 

877

877. The word "romantic" in this context was used in Germany especially as a strong opposition to the term classical.

878. The central themes of the romantic era placed imagination over reason, emotions over logic, and intuition over science.

879. Edgar Allen Poe, Ralph Waldo Emerson, William Wordsworth, John Keats, and Nathanial Hawthorne are some of the most important writers from this period. Especially Keats' poem Happy is England illustrate the era's sense of longing very well.

880

880. Some poets (Keats amongst others) did not recognize themselves as "romantic", although they knew the word and recognized that their work differed from that of the eighteenth century.