Facts about Presidential Elections in the US

... silently hoping that this year's won't lead to a catastrophe.

841. During the 1776 presidential campaign, Thomas Jefferson secretly hired a writer named James Callender to attack his opponent, John Adams, in print. Callender called Adams a "hermaphroditical character" who neither had the "force of a man" nor the "gentleness of a woman."

842. The ultimate fail in a U.S. presidential election happened when the Chicago Daily Tribune mistakenly declared that Dewey beat Truman in 1946. 

843

843. American astronauts on the ISS can vote in elections from orbit by secure email.

844. The United States is ranked 139th out of 172 countries in voter participation.

845. The voting machine was first used for an election in 1892. It had actually been invented earlier, but candidates didn't like the idea because it abolished the wheeling and dealing for votes over the phone.

846. The 1800 election year was so heated that vice president Aaron Burr ended up killing Alexander Hamilton in a duel.

 The 1800 election year was so heated that vice president Aaron Burr ended up killing Alexander Hamilton in a duel

847. It is illegal to drink alcohol on election day in Kentucky and South Carolina.

848. A U.S. presidential candidate is required to be at least 35 years old, a permanent US resident for at least 14 years and considered a natural US born citizen.

849. The first female presidential candidate Victoria Woodhull in 1872, nearly 50 years before women were allowed to vote in presidential elections.

850. 17.5 % of the people who don't vote say that they are "too busy". Come on people, this is about the freaking future of your country!!