Chapter Five: We Go To the Library

CHAPTER FIVE: We Go To the Library

PERCY 

Of course, there had to be a prophecy. As much as he sometimes missed his monster fighting days, Percy figured that they had enough going on with the whole immortality thing and Annabeth's pregnancy in general.

And the prophecy wasn't totally clear, either. Not that they ever were...

"The newest god and goddess's child

Shall replace an old goddess long since gone wild

Peace has been made

But the price has been payed

For all the years of chaos

She shall be stripped of her

Powers which will be preserved

For the child to take in at birth."

The prophecy kept replaying over and over in his mind as he finished breakfast. Nobody had said anything after Annabeth told them she was pregnant, as they were all too baffled about the prophecy. So they were left city there to finish their food in a silent, tension-filled room. Percy didn't need that again.

Afterwards, Percy met Annabeth in her office to discuss the prophecy. Percy didn't have an office; his job was to teach young demigods sword fighting at Camp Demigod. Luckily, he didn't have to do that until this afternoon, so he had some time to help Annabeth out.

"So it's obviously my child," Annabeth stated.

"Right," he agreed. "But this goddess..."

"I guess we have to take away her powers somehow, so that we can give them to the baby," Annabeth concluded.

"Well, yeah, except... we don't really have a clue who that goddess might be."

"I might have an idea," Annabeth said thoughtfully. Percy gaped at her.

"How?"

She sighed. "Just because you have seaweed clogging your brain doesn't mean I do. I am a daughter of Athena."

"Care to share your wisdom with your stupid, seaweed brained husband?" Percy requested with a smirk. Annabeth, however, stayed serious.

"I'm thinking it might be a goddess of peace. It says a goddess went wild, and the price has been payed for all the years of chaos. So maybe, because of all the chaos our world has been in, this goddess of peace went 'wild'. Us demigods just had to sort it out on our own. So now, even though peace has been made, she's still kind of insane, and our baby has to replace her," Annabeth explained. Percy stared at her. Sometimes he sort of took her wisdom for granted.

"How...?" Percy started.

"Please don't ask."

"Umm, okay. So, do you know who this peace goddess is?" he questioned.

"She's not very well known. I think her name is Eirene. Do you mind if I go to the library?"

"Of course not. I'll come with you," Percy offered. He didn't want Annabeth to have to do this on her own. This was their prophecy, their child. Not just hers.

"Thanks," she smiled at him and they held hands as they left the house.

***

The library was huge. It was filled with every book on Greek and Roman Mythology that they could possibly find, written in English, Ancient Greek and Latin. There were also books on cultures, wars, even a copy of Hercules' [totally useless] Guide To The Mare Nostrum. Because of Reyna's ties with the Amazons, they had even gotten free shipping.

Annabeth had personally seen to the construction of the library. She had designed it to look like a mini version of the Parthenon, which Percy thought was a little bit fancy for a library. Oh well, there was really nothing wrong with it.

***

After a while of searching, Annabeth finally came Percy with some good information.

"Eirene, or Irene, is one of the three Horae, or Hours. At first, the Horae began as Goddesses of the Greeks' three seasons: spring, summer and winter. Later, they became personifications of Law and Order. Eirene is the personification of Peace. Her Roman equivalent is Pax," Annabeth read.

"Okay, so you were right. It's Eirene, the Goddess of Peace. But it doesn't say anything about her going nuts in there..."

Annabeth sighed. "I know. I'm sorry Percy, I'm trying my best."

Percy hadn't meant to offend her, or suggest that she wasn't doing well enough. He put his arms around her and whispered in his ear, "You're doing just fine."

Percy and Annabeth scoured the shelves for a while longer before finally deciding to take a break and go get some lunch.

"Do you think they're somewhere on Olympus?" Percy asked as he unwrapped the blue sandwich he had ordered. It was good that the restaurants here could do nearly anything. Percy was fairly sure he couldn't walk into a mortal Subway and request a blue five dollar footlong.

"Who's they?"

"The Horae," Percy clarified.

"I don't know. I mean, they're obviously not any of the major Olympian Gods, but they could be on there somewhere. There's really no way to know."

"Unless we go there," Percy suggested.

"Well, we could... But Percy, we can't just go barging into Olympus whenever we feel like it."

"I know. But how else are we supposed to find out if they are there?"

"I don't know, Percy, I really don't."

*Sorry this is such a short chapter again, I just really wanted to get one more in before I leave today. :) Enjoy, vote, and tell me what you think!*