Chapter Twenty Two: I Become Superman

***Here is a nice long update for you guys :) Feel free to correct me on grammar errors as you go, I haven't edited it at all. ***

|

Chapter 22

JASON'S POV

At first, Jason thought nothing of the thunder he heard rumbling outside his window. The weather at Camp Demigod was always unpredictable, seeming to reflect the Olympian's moods, and it wasn't exactly an uncommon occurrence for his dad to be angry.

He was sitting on his bed, head propped up by pillows, reading a book while Piper napped peacefully on his shoulder. The storm continued to rage outside, but he didn't pay any notice until something peculiar happened.

A single streak of lightning flashed through the window right at Jason, in a way that lightning shouldn't have been able to. He blacked out for a moment as the electricity hit him, but didn't feel any pain.

When he opened his eyes again, he was still sitting in his bedroom, book in hand. Except for two major differences: the glass from the window through which the lightning had struck was laying shattered over the bedroom floor, and Piper was no longer sitting next to him.

"Piper?" he called. Maybe she had run for help when the lightning struck him.

He got up slowly, still a bit dizzy from the shock and surprise of what had just taken place. "Piper?" he called again as he made his way down the stairs. Now that he looked around, he actually didn't see any of his friends in the house. "Leo? Percy? Annabeth?" he called desperately. With another flash of lightning, all of the power went out and Jason was left in darkness.

He ran out the front door, heart thumping against his chest. Something was very wrong. "Piper?" he called into the storm, eyes squinted against the rain.

No answer.

Instead, he heard screaming.

Everywhere.

Demigods were sprinting inside as lightning struck tree after tree, building after building, basketball hoops and volleyball net poles. One of the demigod cabins (Jason couldn't see which one) burst into flames as lightning struck it, though the fire was soon put out by the torrential downpour.

"Everyone inside!" Chiron's voice roared. Focusing with all his might, Jason tried to make the storm stop, or at least calm down. He screwed his eyes shut in concentration, willing the winds to slow, the clouds to part, the lightning to hold itself in. Half a minute later, he wrenched his eyes back open in frustration, knowing he had gotten nowhere.

He sprinted around the camp, calling Piper's name into the wind, but to no avail. Buildings were crumbling under the combined force of rain, hail, winds, tornados, flying debris and lightning. It took all of Jason's power just to stay on the ground and keep the hail from hitting him. In his efforts to stop the storm, he had at least managed to form a protective shield around his body, keeping himself safe from the elements.

In an attempt to see the extent of the storm's damage and maybe find Piper, Jason managed to control the winds enough to hoist himself off the ground and into the air. He soared around, searching. Unfortunately, he really couldn't see much at all through the rain, hail and debris.

"Piper!" he tried one last time. Closing his eyes in defeat, he tried to connect to Piper somehow. They were demigods after all; he wouldn't be surprised if there were some secret way for them to talk to each other.

He didn't get to communicate with Piper, but he did feel a tugging in his gut that seemed to be directing him to her. He knew it seemed crazy, and he was probably just making it up, but stranger things had happened. Plus, it's not like he had anything else to try. He leaned forward as if he were laying flat on his stomach and stretched himself out, trying to be as aerodynamic as possible.