Amber

I get up, and without opening her eyes, Maggie rolls over to my spot. I hurry to Granny's to meet Caleb.

"Over here," he calls. Two coffees are sitting on the table.

"How did you know I like coffee?" I ask.

"Your teeth are stained like a coffee drinker's," he says.

"You're observant," I say. "What else have you deduced from my appearance?"

"Well, when I followed you home yesterday, I could tell the woman that was yelling at you was the one keeping you away from me."

"You followed me?"

"I had to make sure you weren't in danger."

"That's not your concern."

"It is my concern. I love you."

"Well that was fast," I say.

I hear the door open, and Caleb says, "Don't turn around. That woman, she's here."

Even before he finishes his sentence I feel my hands grabbed and forced behind me.

"You! You really thought I was stupid enough to believe Maggie was you? Don't worry, she's being punished for her actions, and you will be too," Jasmine says.

I am forced up and out of my chair and dragged out the door.

"You are never to see him again, do you hear me?"

When we get back, she throws me on the ground. Jasmine drags me over to where Maggie is. Then she pulls out a heart. I can't tell whose.

"Beat the life out of her," she says into the heart.

I figure out who's heart it is when Maggie pins me to the ground. She punches me, hard, several times. Only she's the one pleading stop.

"Please, stop! Don't make me do this," Maggie shouts, punching me, slamming my head against the concrete.

After a while, Jasmine drops the heart. Maggie stops. She quickly gets off of me.

"You monster!" She screams at Jasmine. "How could you do this to her?"

"Easy. She disobeyed me. Now get her back in one piece before I decide to hurt you too."

Maggie holds my head up to examine my wounds. "I'm so sorry," she repeats over and over again.

"Don't be. I know that wasn't really you."

Maggie brushes the hair off my forehead and says, "I will never let her hurt you again."