Chapter 16: Lesson learned

Lapis' P.O.V

Peri and I enter the building pushing through the clear glass doors at the front. Immediately when we step foot inside I'm hit with a wave of chlorine scent. The aroma gives me a at home vibe going, as for Peri, I glance towards her to find a not so bright look across her face. Her eyes were slightly puffy and pink from crying in the car and if you really looked close you could see dry tears on her cheeks. Speaking of her cheeks, she looked pretty flushed, probably worried someone would see her like this. I couldn't blame her, I probably looked like a mess as well, I was crying with her, just not as badly but still I think with the time we have right now we should go clean up.

"Hey, I have to use the bathroom, gotta pee before the lesson ya know, heh, you should probably come with me too, since your swimming as well it'd be a good idea to go before you get in." She looked confused at what I said. "I thought I watching your lesson first?" She retorted. Her voice sounded raspy and weak like it needed to be cleared. "Just come on" I groaned grabbing her and practically dragging her into the bathroom with me. In a far of distance I could see a good swim mate of mine, Rocko. She was wringing her hair out from swimming.

We walk into the bathroom smelling the awful scent of pee and poop. Peridot is practically gagging which makes me giggle. "Well I'm sorry but it smells like shit in here!" She says in a nasally tone, pinching her nostrils together to keep from inhaling anymore of the awful aromas coming from the toilets. Still laughing I say "Come here you goober!" And pull her towards me to give her a hug which makes her blush like crazy. I attack her with pecks on her fluffy head of hair before I walk off to change in a stall. Walking past a mirror I see in the corner of my eye a sneaky Peridot catches a glimpse of me, me? She was staring at me? I begin to blush so I hurry into the stall to change out of my clothes.

By the time I'm out I see Peri's face is even redder than before. She's also dripping wet, most likely from washing her face in the sink. She has the towel I gave her draped around her waist just enough to cover her package. I blush at the sight of her and how well she fits in that black bathing suit. Peridot and I make awkward eye contact before I force myself to look away feeling embarrassed for staring. "Let's go" I mumble.

We walk out the bathroom and towards the seating area where I lead Peri to sit so she can watch me. I pass by Rocko again and this time she makes a gesture to say something. "Hey Lapis, made it to the meet I see, and may I ask who is this?". I wonder if she has the wrong idea or something, should I tell her Peri is my girlfriend? Is Peri my girlfriend? "Oh a friend of mine, Peridot." I quickly responded. Peridot looks up at me before she looks back to Rocko and responds.

"Well Lapis I could've said my name but yeah my names Peridot, I came to observe and take notes on the swimming.". Rocko looks like she's about to laugh at how adorably high pitched Peri's voice sounds. Peridot clears her throat. "Sorry I don't know what happened to my voice there, heh, well it was nice meeting you Rocko-" Peridot looks towards me, "Lapis I think we should find the seating place for me, my legs are getting tired of walking." I'm confused at the way she sounds, she sounds a but pissed off, but at what? At who? "Okay okay, you do have little legs that can be a little weak." I tease. Peridot fake laughs. "Oh well it was nice meeting you too, Lapis, I'll see you in the waters." Rocko says before she begins to walk off to who knows where. Peridot takes ahold of my hand and begins to walk, catching me off guard.

"Peridot you okay? You sound a bit annoyed." I question, hoping I haven't offended her. "I'm fine and all its just-" but before we can make it to our destination Peridot slips on a puddle of water and falls into the pool. I watch as it happens in slow motion and all I can do and stand there and stare. Peridot just fell into the deep end of the pool, I'm stuck, I'm frozen. "Peridot!" I Yelp before diving in after her. This can't be happening this can't be happening!

A/N:
Props to EternalFlame2329  for suggesting the name "Rocko".