34.

Gloria.

For the fifth time, the nurse stuck me with a needle. I've been battling cancer for some years now. I never felt the urge to tell Kaylee.

There was so much I needed to explain before its too late.

"That will be all for today Ms. Langston. See you around lunch." She smiled, before exiting the room.

I nodded, weakly smiling.

"Mama I brought you your favorite." Trey walked in.

"You don't look good." He sighed, sitting the food down.

The noise of the breathing machine filled the room.

"Baby," I stopped talking to breathe. "Mama been fighting this battle for nine years. Nine years." I patted his hand. "This decision is in the hands of that big man upstairs. If I leave here, don't cry. I'll be somewhere knowing that I don't have to suffer nor feel pain anymore." I smiled, feeling the tears falling.

"Mama don't talk like that!" He yelled, but not too loud. "You can't leave me & Kaylee here. You can't!" He cried.

"Trey, I can't stay here f-forever." I said, caressing his knuckles. "I'll always be your mother, but mama won't be with you forever. I will be with you in here," I patted his chest. "Right there."

"How am I suppose to tell Kaylee I'm her brother? Hm? How mama?" He questioned, holding onto me for dear life.

"Just sit with her & talk. I-I love you. I love you & Kaylee. Ya hear me?"

After that, I vision became blurry. The sound of the monitor went off. Soon, my breathing ceased. I then, saw two bodies inching closer towards me.

The sound of their wings flapped, as they pulled me toward the golden gate. I was home. I was happy.

--

Trey.

"Mama? Mama?" I shook her. "Mama wake up. Stop playing, you aint gone." I kept shaking her.

"Mama! Can you hear me?!" I yelled.

I laid my head on her chest, immediately knowing the sound of her heart wasn't beating.

I couldn't control the amount of tears that ran from my bloodshot eyes. My world, my heart was over. This lady was my everything. Right now, I wanted to be with her. As her son, I felt like I let this happen to her.

The doctors & nurse soon bomb rushed in, checking the heart monitor.

They brought in an machine, that pumps on the chest but I refused to let them go any further.

There was no use. She wasn't coming back, I couldn't let her come back. Her returning to this cruel & cold world, was a no go. She would just keep suffering & I wouldn't let that happen.

"Sorry for your lost. Your family have my condolences." The doctor patted me on the back.

This situation revolved around my head so fast, I couldn't keep up. I had to figure out how to explain all of this to Kaylee.

--

Kaylee.

"Thank you baby." I kissed his lips.

Getting the last of our bags from the Uber, I plopped down on the couch, kicking my shoes off.

Surprisingly, Lelani & Bryson slept the entire flight. I debated whether I should start unpacking now or later.