Should've seen it

Amy's POV

I've loved Sonic the Hedgehog for five years now.

Five years.

Being seventeen and in love with your childhood crush isn't what normal mobians fall for. I haven't lost hope for us, even though he's been running away from me ever since. He might be shy. I know plenty of mobians who have problems conveying themselves, expressing their feelings even, and Sonic is on the top of my list.

My personality hasn't changed much. I'm still myself, just less giddy-go-lucky all the time and I have a more serious attitude every day. But this is just a side note.

XXX

3rd POV

Amy makes her way to Cream's house, they have a game date with Tails, Sonic, Knuckles, and Rouge; Rouge might not show up because she's on call (meaning she should be ready to leave or be leaving when GUN gives her a call for a mission). She claims she pleaded Shadow to come, but Rouge was denied with the same 'humph'.

She rings the doorbell, her finger lingers on the button before pulling away. "I'll get it." Knuckles says behind the door, and she can hear his grip on the handle before he opens the door and greets her. "Amy!" The red echidna  gives her a warm smile before engulfing her in a broad hug.

"Hey!" Pulling away, Amy's cheeks flush when Knuckles pulls her in once more for another hug. "Wow, so generous!"

"I think I had one too much to drink..." Pulling a hand to her mouth, Amy gives a small chuckle before walking inside with their arms wrapped around one another.

They all were in the gaming room, specially hand made by Miles Prower himself, and to the far corner was a coffee table with a few drinks displayed. She noticed a red wine (couldn't read any of their names from the hallway), two brands of beers, sodas, and some refrigerated milk (Cream loves milk, especially cheese. The chao might love it more).

Walking inside, they all wave and laugh either "Hi Amy", "What's up, Amy", or "Hey". She waves back and says, "Hey guys. Have you started yet?"

"We were waiting on you, sweetheart." Rouge says, a glass of the red liquid in her gloved hand. Of course that was for her.

"Plus, we all chose different games and won't come to an agreement." Sonic says, his quills sprawled over the top of the couch he's lounged on. Amy felt her cheeks flush again.

"Well," Tails grunts, "I said Super Smash 'Bros."

Amy nods, "Sounds good." When Tails leaps off the couch to put the disc in, she give Sonic a knowing nod, and he returns it. Oops, I hope he knows what I mean, Amy thinks to herself as she takes a seat in between Rouge and Knuckles. Cream being Cream, runs up and gives Amya quick hug before grabbing a controller and sitting on the left seat near Tails.

XXX

Walking up to Sonic, she bends over his knees and smiles, "Hey."

They hadn't really talked to each other all night, other than teaming up to make Tails lose on Smash Bros, and Amy thought now was a good time to chat. He was alone on the couch in the same spot he'd been sitting the whole night, and the blue hedgehog looked quite at ease. Until she came to him of course.

Sonic leans back, uncomfortable with how near Amy was.

"We need to talk." He says abruptly. The pink hedgehog takes a seat next to him and places her hands into her lap.

"Okay, I'm listening." Clearing his throat, Sonic stutters, "Well, I-I..."

This is it, Amy thought. He's confessing.

"We've been friends for God knows how long," He starts, his voice more sure, "and I'll always love you." Amy's mind nearly spazzes, her heart and body ache for him to say those four words again 'I'll always love you'-

"But not in that way."

XXX

That night, Sonic told her that he'd noticed her fatuation with him, and that he didn't feel the same. Amy, dying inside, responded calmly which really pleased Sonic.

"Thank you for understanding. You have no idea how much better I feel now that I've spilled my guts" he had said, and Amy realized that he wasn't running because he was shy- he just didn't like her.

Damn her fawning mind, how did she not see it? Whenever she asked to go out to the mall with him, he'd always ask if others were coming, or if he could invite someone. Another day, she wanted to go to the beach with him, and he said he still hated water. But the next day, she saw him in Knuckles pool; Amy wasn't mad because he was holding onto the pool rails like a soaked kitten.

Amy played it casual, they hugged it out as friends even though she was holding back tears of embarrassment. She had told him that she wasn't exactly infatuated with him, but that it was just a mere crush- she lied. The night went by pretty fast until Sonic dropped a nuke on her heart, one that seemed to never stop growing until she left for her house.

When she gets home, closing the door behind her, she crumbles to the floor and sobs her eyes out, chest swollen and breath hitched. She chokes on her cries and nearly passes out from her hyperventilation.

God, she thinks, my mascara...

Wiping her eyes, she pulls herself up with the support of the door and makes her way up to the bathroom so she can wash her feelings away.

Permanently.