Something to Say

A/N: Sorry for the delay :T

Amy's POV

I remember the first time I met Shadow. All the feelings I had, the confusion on Sonic's makeover or the the way his quills were positioned, but I quickly dismayed them with the overwhelming joy on seeing my best friend again. When I ran up to hug him, the sudden stiffness and no complaint had made me question who I was hugging. I remember thinking it had to be Sonic, who else looked so similar? We parted. Shadow revealed himself and while I was in denial and scared about Sonic, that was the beginning of our partnership.

Sitting across from Shadow now, I see him in a new perspective. I mean- I was twelve then and it's been eight years god damnit, but I've grown up with Shadow and today shed a new light upon him. Up on the Ark was tough, and unknowingly, he was suffering the whole trip. When Shadow and I got closer, we started to learn more about each other. For example, he thought I was, and with no offense, a sideliner. I know I've never really been a big part of the group, and when Sally joined about a year ago I was pushed further back. Cream was in my position, but has boosted since because of her populous. She doesn't fight, not as much or isn't as talented as certain others, but being around the main few makes her a familiar mobian.

I can feel my throat ache, but why? I'm not upset, at least I don't think I am. Reading Shadow's facial expressions are like reading a blank page. He won't allow anyone to know how he feels or what he's thinking; only when he wants to will he express himself. I've had brief moments with him, to where he lets his guard down to an understanding level.

While Rouge was leaving earlier, acting skeptical, she left after being reassured by me that I'd come visit the next day. We would, GUN requested a word with us. She's going to ask why I'm not leaving with her.

Inhaling, for what was a considerable amount of time, I look at Shadow. He looks at me, and all I wish right now is to know what he's thinking.

"I've never gotten over the Ark. My time on it, my time after, and my soul purpose to Earth." He begins, eyes never leaving mine. I hug myself, listening intently. "I can't explain it. If I did, you or anymobian else might not understand. At least twice a month I violently react to flashbacks or flooded thoughts. For humans, it may be ptsd. Not that I don't get flashbacks all the time. I get them quite frequently and it pisses me off."

I rub my arms and watch Shadow frown, as if he were in distress. He was opening up. Talking to him was doing this; him talking about it was helping.

"I am sorry you had to see that. No one knows except you now, and you must keep it between us." The atmosphere surrounding us grew thin, and rubbing my arms wasn't helping. It was as if any friction would set us aflame. I need to say something. Anything.

"Not even Rouge? You've been with her longer than I have." I say, my excessive rubbing coming to a halt.

"Our friendship is complicated. It was a forced partnership. We're closer with work than with ourselves." Shadow says bluntly. I look away, the coffee table in front of me suddenly more interesting than the hedgehog. This news was disturbing. Was their group friendship a lie? Was it only one way? Did Shadow even enjoy being our friends, and was I his friend just for work as well?

"What are we?" I ask. Shadow doesn't skip a beat to answer.

"You're my friend."

"Am I a friend for work? Because we are paired together in GUN and you spend time with me." My throat starts to ache once more. I'm upset for sure this time, but I'm not completely sure why. Even though we are friends in some manner, GUN or not, would it really be bad to lose the thought of him being something else than a work buddy? How come I feel like tearing up, or being mad. These feelings were new, and quite frankly, I didn't know what they were. I don't like feelings I can't explain.

"Amy," Shadow says, voice stern. "I was your friend before you joined GUN. Our relationship is different to Rouge and mine." I look at him, and swallow. The way he's looking at me...

"Okay." I choke, the only thing I could muster to say. The house grows silent until I jump, standing up and walking over to the hedgehog. "You punched the walls, they must still be hurt. May... I see?" Other than being an expert Piko-fighter, I could also help care for any wounds. One time, I helped stitch a cut Knuckles got from an emerald. Even though I could inspect Shadow's wounds, me asking to see them wasn't entirely for the same purpose. I just didn't know the other reason yet.

Shadow frowns, face flicking from discomfort and whether or not to allow me. Standing over him, figure locking the light from his windows, I gingerly take hold of his gloves and slide them off. I make sure not to touch his knuckles or finger tips; Shadow scratched the walls as well.

I notice the red streak on his fur that trails throughout his body lead to his hand, and gasp at the sight. His fingers and knuckles were unharmed. There were no bruises, missing patches of fur, or scabs. I frown, tilting his hand in many directions in order to find an injury.

He looks at me in a slightly amused manner, and I frown, jerking his hand into his lap. "You knew nothing would be wrong. Why the hell isn't it broken?" I ask, crossing my arms.

He looks up at me, "I'm the Ultimate Life form. One of my pros is an unnatural speed for healing." It was, and I forgot. Running my fingers through my quills, I take a seat on the couch next to Shadow. We grew silent again, and while I think of something to say Shadow slips his glove back on. He grunts, "Damn it. I have to go."

"Where?" I ask, standing up with him. Shadow takes a red emerald off of his tv frame and shakes his head.

"You're not coming." He says, brushing his white vest off; it matched his gloves. He always seemed to were those, vests that is. Watching him avoid my eye contact, i wonder if he has any other sorts of clothes.

"Okay, why not? What are you doing?" I ask once more. What was he doing that I couldn't come to. It might seem odd to want to go somewhere with him at this time, but he announced it just as oddly.

He pauses in front of me, emerald in his palm and a stern look spread across his face. "You're not supposed to know. I didn't want to come, but I'm forced, and it'd be rude not to. " He pauses, facing me once again at his door. " I can tell you, but it might not be the most pleasing." I walk up to him, he wasn't leaving with me in the unknown. Our proximity was close, and I was feeling more worried than uncomfortable.

"Okay. Tell me." I say, voice almost cracking.

Shadow stiffens slightly. "Are you su-"

"Damnit Shadow, if you don't tell me i'm going to follow you." He shakes his head, hands extended out to stop my furious ones.

"Okay, I am." Shadow grunts, "I've been 'invited' to Sonic's bash. It's just a little reunion for all the freedom fighters and friends. It's been planned for about three months, and mobians from across the world are coming."

I blink, eyes dropping to the floor. How was i feeling? I wanted to feel like my chest was tight and I wanted my heart to ache but it wasn't. Had i moved on?

I knew i hadn't, so why wasn't i reacting?

"Okay." Said plainly, I walk over to Shadow and stand expectantly.

He looks me up and down, "What are you doing?"

"I'm waiting for you to chaos-control us out to the bash." I say. I might've not been invited formally, but i never was told not to come.

"You can't come, Amy." He says, furrowing his brows. Shadow keeps hold of the emerald, tightening his grip on it. He didn't want to bring the pink hedgehog for a number of reasons.

"Take me." I take a step closer, hastily taking a glance at where the emerald was. Maybe i could take it and warp myself? I wasn't as experienced as Shadow was, may or may not appear to the bash with no clothes on, but I know for sure i can Chaos-control.

"No-"

"Shadow," I snap, and he practically growls in protest. "Please let me go to the bash." I ask finally, voice sincere.

Chaos Control.