An Affinity With Jinjuriki

Aki's P.O.V.

I lay awake, staring at the ceiling as Byakko purred softly in his sleep beside the bed.

My mind just kept wandering back to that red hair...

I felt too hot in the house but I didn't want to lower the temperature anymore because it would disturb Byakko's peaceful slumber.

'I could go for a walk... But... It's night... That means it's... Dark.'

After a few more minutes, I could no longer stand the heat.

I carefully crept around the sprawled Byakko and threw on my clothes.

I paused at the window, staring into the inky blackness that was only partially exposed by the glowing moon.

I drew a deep breath then leapt out, sending a small amount of chakra to my skin to make it cast a soft glow, illuminating my surroundings.

It might have been the worst idea ever, I just made myself a glowing target to anything lurking in the dark...

I hopped along rooftops, breathing in the fresh air and cooling my skin in the breeze.

I got to a comfortable rooftop, sitting calmly by the edge and closing my eyes.

"... Furasshu?"

I jumped at the unexpected sound and my lapse of concentration caused the chakra at my skin to dissipate and the light to swiftly be extinguished.

I suddenly realised how bad of an idea this was as I felt the darkness touching me all around.

"H-hello?" I said shakily, shivering and clutching my legs to my chest as I felt the fear seeping into my veins.

I managed to turn my head slightly to see the silhouette behind me. The moonlight shone on his face to expose his panda eyes and red locks.

I was too scared to be flustered by his presence.

I clutched at my head as I felt the dark all around me.

For a clan that thrives on light, not feeling it is like being naked in a blizzard.

"You're scared... Aren't you," he muttered.

I managed a nod, somehow he saw it.

"Of me," he rasped.

I hesitated, then shook my head slowly.

He tilted his head, furrowing his brows.

I bit my lip,
"O-of the dark..." I choked out in strangled sounds.

I saw his brows shoot up in the only expression I've ever seen him make: Shock.

I reached out my hand with the little strength I had left and sent chakra to it, lighting it up with a powerful glow.

I released a breath I hadn't realised I'd been holding.

"How do you do that?" He questioned, curiously.

He seemed more civil than before, softer somehow.

I smiled a small smile, instantly forgetting the panic episode and realising just who I was on a roof with.

"A bloodline trait..." I managed, not trusting myself to not stutter if I said anything more.

He silently stared at my hand for a while, his face relaxed but expressionless.

"A person with the kekkei genkai of light that's afraid of the dark...
That's quite... Typical..." He said slowly, cautiously, as if small talk was a foreign concept.

I laughed with a grin, rubbing the back of my head sheepishly, a pale blush tinting my cheeks.
"Promise you won't tell anyone?" I ventured.

He looked at me silently for a short while, his eyes betraying the confusion he felt.
"Sure, I wouldn't gain from telling anyone anyway," he mumbled.

I genuinely beamed at him,
"Thank you!"

He looked shocked once more, his eyes darting about in confusion.

He regained his composure and cleared his throat.
He seemed awkward, like a newborn lamb learning to walk.

I flushed as he suddenly leaned close, examining my face unashamedly.
"W-what are you looking at?" I stuttered.

"Now that I look closely, I can see that you are a boy.
Do you wish for me to correct Kankuro?" He said formally.

'Is he trying to apologise for what Kankuro said before? S-strange...'

I looked down in embarrassment as he was still quite close.
"N-nah... I'm not really bothered what he thinks..." I mumbled.
"N-No offence to your team or anything!" I finished quickly.

Gaara nodded, then leaned away, instead sitting down on the rooftop aswell, slightly away from where I was still sat.

I fidgeted nervously.

"That tall boy who called you 'master'... Is he a servent at your household?" Gaara asked slowly, as if treading carefully.

The tips of my ears burned in a blush as I think back to the embarrassing moment when Byakko broadcasted his poorly selected name for me to all the ninja present.

"H-He's my summoning... a servant of my clan. He doesn't seem to want to go back though, so he's been following me around a lot," I laughed nervously.

Gaara nods then clutches his head as his eyes squint in pain.

"W-what's wrong, Gaara?" I stutter in panic.

"Why... Why doesn't my beast want to kill you?" He says more to himself than anyone.

I bite my lip guiltily.
'I know he's the one tailed jinjuriki, I can feel it through his seal.
And I know perfectly well why that savage beast doesn't want me dead.
It knows I can let him out...
But I can't tell him that...'

I rub the back of my head in a sheepish gesture once more,
"It seems I have an affinity with jinjurikis..."

He didn't seem to look offended that I knew his identity, he merely nodded once with his quite stare.

Looks like my gamble payed off.

I spread the glow in my hand so that it radiated throughout my body once again so I could put my tired arm down and shift into a more comfortable position.

"Um... I know you can't sleep... So, if you want, I can stay here and talk to you..." I said cautiously, dreading being rejected.

He furrowed his brows again, eyes scanning my blushing face.
Even he himself looked surprised when his lips formed the word: 'yes'.

I beamed then started telling him stories of our adventures in team seven.
How Naruto was always being rowdy and always looking to prove himself.
How Sasuke was always pushing people away and obsessing over his revenge.
How Sakura was always concentrating on Sasuke instead of being a ninja.
And how Kakashi-sensei was always... Well... Late.

It wasn't really a mutual conversation, more like me talking to him one-sidedly.
But I could tell he was glad not to have to speak, he wasn't much of a talker.

I opened my eyes to see the sun just rising beyond the horizon, colouring all of Konoha with beautiful oranges and pinks.

My back felt sore and stiff.
'Did I fall asleep on the roof?'

Locks of short red hair came into view along with black ringed panda eyes.

"You fell asleep," he muttered.

I sat up and blushed with a sheepish smile,
"Sorry about that... Did you stay and watch me all night...?" I questioned.

He nodded then looked to a block of buildings in the distance,
"I need to get back."

"Oh... Okay. See you, Gaara!" I said casually as he started to slowly walk away.

He paused on the edge of the rooftop, looking back at me over his shoulder.
"...thanks..." He said quietly, hesitantly.

I gasped silently and my cheeks glowed, then I smiled and waved.
"Anytime!"