Chapter 3: The neighbours son

~Chapter Three. The neighbours son~

After I unpack a few things I decide to go and get some food.

I find my mother talking to some of our new neighbours so I decide to take her car.

I drive to Starbucks and order a cool lime refresher, but to my annoyance they spell my names as "Layla".

I grab some food, then start my task on searching for a job. Because I dropped out of college, I really don't have much choice for jobs, so I stay with coffee shops and cafés. Unfortunately with no joy I went home.

~

"Hey mom." I shout as I walk through the door.

I hear talking coming from the living room, so I head that way. I spot a woman and a man. Married couple? And a boy who looks my age. They were all deep in conversation, and me being my shy self, I turn to walk away.

Well, I tried.

"Oh there you are! You could have at least told me you were going out. Come say hello."

I turn around and walk to my mom.

"Oh, erm, hi my names Laila. Sorry mom."

"Oh its fine, hun. As you will need a job, our lovely neighbours know a good coffee shop. Their son Marcus here is going to take you, and help you buy some stuff to decorate your room whilst you're out, okay?"

Shit.

I don't know this kid.

"Erm thank you, but I've tried most coffee shops, they said no, and about decorate.." I was saying before mum cut me off.

"Just try again, okay. And you can't carry paint and rolls of wallpaper all by yourself, can you?"

Why was my mom making me go so much?

I agree in the end.

****

Marcus and I walk to the car, him driving with me in the passenger seat.

"You don't have to do this.." I try breaking the cars silence.

"I know, but I want to, alright?" He speaks whilst his eyes are still on the road.