Arc I - Ability

Disclaimer: Story. Mine. Naruto. Kishimoto's.

Beta: Kalafina94

Beta: silverseed

Edit: 1/1/2018

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

It's been a year since I had begun my training with Ino. Taijutsu, I had discovered, was a combination of many fighting styles. The fighting style that I had shown was a very basic style, apparently. It was a style that was not well suited to my tiny (frail, weak) body. Papa and Momma worked hard to find a style that better suited me.

They settled on a complicated style that had me landing on my tailbone multiple times. While I didn't enjoy learning it, I very much appreciated what the end results would be. It was a style that relied heavily upon careful maneuvering and using my smaller body to my advantage.

Chakra training, I had discovered, was exceedingly difficult for most, including Ino.

That was because they had known their chakra all along. Had it become second nature to them like their own heartbeat, only better hidden. They could not distinguish the difference between their body and chakra.

While that was slightly different for me, it was not by much. Though chakra was new to me, I had grown accustomed to it over the first years of my life here. For me, telling the difference still required deep concentration, but it came with much more ease than it did my elder sister.

Chakra training was basic for us. We only practiced locating our chakra, and pushing it to different parts of our body. That came easily for both of us once we had found our chakra. It would appear chakra control was a natural thing for us, even if locating it still required effort.

It did not surprise me considering our kekkai genkai.

Which brought me to what we were training for today.

Today was our first step into learning our clan's kekkei genkai.

We sat with our legs folded underneath us in our indoor training hall. Today the training hall was empty—a request by Papa to better help us concentrate. In our laps were two doll-like figures.

Papa sat in front of us, his legs folded underneath him. "Today we begin your first training session as Yamanaka clan members. Our clan specializes in mind attacks, utilizing sensory abilities—transferring consciousness, reading minds, and communicating telepathically. Our first lesson will be our most basic clan technique: transferring consciousness."

I shifted slightly and Papa eyed us both carefully. "To do that you will utilize your chakra control to its maximum potential. Force it to project and wrap around yourself and then push it out of you and at your target. You must not push too much into the attack as it will overshoot and the entire jutsu will become void. You must not push too little, or your entire jutsu will fail and you will be stuck outside of your body for several minutes—sometimes an hour."

Ino gave a sharp intake of breath and my eyes widened.

"You must have complete control over the jutsu," Papa said firmly. "You must will it to bend to your wishes. Never, I repeat, never, let it control you."

Ino and I nodded earnestly. Papa's firm face relaxed into a smile again. "These dolls in front of you will be what you practice with. Before you fully push your consciousness outside of your body, you must first understand how to do so, which way to go, and how to return. You will push your consciousness until it brushes across the doll. If you do that correctly, the doll will glow blue. If you do it incorrectly—push it too far or too little—it will glow red. Take as much time as you need; there is no rush."