Arc II - Haku

Disclaimer: Only Nao is my own in that story.

Warning: Uh.

Beta: Kalafina94

Beta: silverseed

Edit: 1/1/2018

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

It took another two days before I ran into Haku. Naruto, it seemed, had passed out from exhaustion (despite his abnormal stamina) and awoken to Haku. The two had a conversation of which I only entered the scene at the end of. After insisting Naruto headed back without me, I found myself standing before a politely smiling Haku.

"So," I said, deciding to go straight to the point. "How's Zabuza?"

Haku froze, though his smile did not slip. "I don't know what you mean."

"You do, but you won't admit it," I answered. "That's okay. I wouldn't either. Let's say I'm a mutual ally for you two. I know Gato hired you, but what you don't know is that he has no intentions of offering you payment. He's hoping we'll kill you and you'll kill us. You might want to pass that information along to your master or whatever."

Haku eyed me a moment, his smiling never wavering. "I assure you; I don't know what you're talking about."

"You do," I said again, "but that's beside the point. Look, if you don't believe me, ask Gato to pay you half up front then the rest later. If he refuses, then you know I was right. Pass it on, or whatever."

Haku inclined his head and I left, not really caring for an answer that I knew he wouldn't give.

Besides, I had bigger things to worry about now.

My memory, and now my eye.

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

(Third Person POV)

Haku was a little more than concerned at how the little girl had managed to discover his identity so quickly. More than that, he was a little more than worried at how she obtained the information. If her information was correct, then it would prove most fruitful for him and Zabuza. If it was wrong... well, it didn't really make much of a difference. They would pursue the Leaf shinobi—and kunoichi—to reach their target as originally planned. And what did it matter how she obtained the information? Well, actually, it mattered quite a bit because that would imply there was a leak or that Haku had somehow messed up and if that was the case.

But if she was right...

Haku had only now finished informing Zabuza of the situation. Zabuza sat up in his bed, his eyes narrowed as he calculated through each risk and possibility. At first glance, many would tell you Zabuza was a mindless, savage, and blood lusting buffoon, but that was not the case. Zabuza could, and very much did, calculate multiple angles and see all the different outcomes.

He wasn't able to do it as easily when the grip of blood lust took him in the heat of battle; but, that had never been a problem for him, so Haku could easily dismiss it.

A full minute passed by until Gato and his two useless thugs entered the room. Gato entered with confidence in his stride, grinning a slimy grin while his beady eyes darted across the room to where Zabuza and Haku were.

"I heard you let the Leaf brats go," Gato said. "Shame on you."

Zabuza cocked his head, seeming to debate for a moment before responding. He didn't very much like the thought of being played. He especially didn't like the thought of being played by someone as pathetic as Gato. "Perhaps. I was not paid to fight other shinobi. I was paid to kill a defenseless bridge builder. Speaking of payment, though, where is mine?"