Arc XVI - Relief

Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto!

Warning: Angst. Language. USUAL. Fluff.

Beta:

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Interlude – Omniscient – 18

"You want... to play... rock-paper-scissors?" Nao stated, completely surprised by Lee's simple task.

Lee's eyes lit up with glee and he nodded his head furiously. "It was the last task that Gai-sensei and Kakashi performed together before Kakashi left! It seems only fitting."

"O-kay," Nao said, still giving Lee an odd look. She held out her hand, forming it into a fist and Lee mimicked her actions.

"One – two – three!"

Lee and Nao presented their hands – Lee's hand had kept its rock form, while Nao's hand had flatten out. Lee gasped in horror. "I lost?! Then I must perform five hundred push-ups – no! One thousand!"

"Okay," Nao said hesitantly, while Lee sprinted away in a burst of speed. Nao watched him leave for a couple of moments, scratching her cheek sheepishly.

.

. .

. . .

"A summoning?" I asked hesitantly. I was carrying a tray of snacks and I set the tray carefully on the table. Surrounding the table were Papa, Shikaku, Chōza, Kakashi, Yagura and the ANBU Commander. They were the makeshift council, seeing how the real council members were no longer in play (both were discredited with Danzō, apparently) and the Hokage was out of commission. I knew Hizashi, the Hyūga leader, would arrive shortly, along with Tsume and Shibi.

They weren't exactly talking in a private place, so the information wasn't sensitive, which was why I was able to remain there without worry.

"That's right," Papa said, sighing. "Neko called us here because we need to decide how to deal with it. We can't send our Hokage to the summit, but there's not enough time to properly appoint a new one, and we can't afford to seem weak. The Kumo shinobi already have seen the devastation the village has suffered..."

Neko, the ANBU Commander, gave a curt nod. "Which is why I propose we send a publically strong team."

"Forgive me for my tardiness," Hizashi said sharply, taking a seat at the table.

"Given the current state of affairs, I think it's understandable to be a bit late," Kakashi said dryly.

"I suggest sending Hatake Kakashi as representative," Neko proposed. "He's well-known and respected, and the Feudal Lord has expressed interest in his appointment as Hokage."

Kakashi seemed to cringe at that. "Tsunade-sama isn't dead, yet, let's not get ahead of ourselves."

"And while I agree with the fact that Kakashi is a strong shinobi," Hizashi said blandly, "he has little political experience, and this is clearly a political gathering."

Shikaku nodded his head. "You have a point, Hizashi."

Feeling a little like I was eavesdropping, I finished giving everyone their snack and promptly headed away. I had little to say in the matter, so it was moot. Besides, I promised Itachi I wouldn't be away for long.

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

"There are things I'd rather leave unsaid, fear of opening a long forgotten wound. There, inside the castle I had built all for myself, it was filled with an emptiness so deep I could drown," I sung softly, the words coming easily to me.