Arc IV - Foundation

Disclaimer: Nao is mine! Nothing else in this story is, though.

Warning: Rawr.

Beta: Kalafina94

Beta: silverseed

Edit: 1/1/18

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Dizzily, I opened my eyes and found Kakashi sitting next to me. I was changed into my regular clothes, happy to find that there were no IVs plunged into me at all. Instead, Kakashi sat perfectly content next to my bed and read his book.

I also noted that there were many bouquets of flowers surrounding me. I felt a small smile tug at my lips at how thoughtful my visitors must have been. I slowly sat up and Kakashi looked up at the action.

"How do you feel?" Kakashi inquired.

"Dizzy," I murmured. "And—"

I closed my eyes and concentrated.

My body was repaired, the physical form at least.

But. But my mark was still there.

I felt a strong stab of bitter disappointment through my heart. I knew it wasn't going to work fully; however, I couldn't help but hold onto childish belief that it would. It hadn't, of course. The Curse Mark was still there and while the pain was gone, the temptation was not.

I could not decide which was worse.

At least the pain was a constant reminder to why I shouldn't give in to it. And while I was by no means a masochist, I would much rather take the physical pain it brought me than the horrible temptation it currently gave me.

I didn't want to lose myself.

"I still feel it," I whispered, my voice thick.

"I'm sorry."

My eyes opened and I looked down at my hands.

Kakashi cleared his throat. "You passed the preliminaries and you'll be moving onto the Final Round. You'll fight either Sasuke or Gaara; you have a bye, so whoever wins that round, you'll be facing. When you're able to move again, I'll take you and Sasuke a little ways out of the village to train."

"What about Naruto?" I asked, my brow furrowed.

"Don't worry, he has a teacher," Kakashi assured me.

I nodded my head slowly.

"Goodbye. I should probably tell the others you're awake."

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

"Man, so Kakashi is training you, too?" Naruto asked, slurping some of his ramen noodles. I blinked up at him, shifting in my hospital bed and twirling my chopsticks.

"Yeah," I murmured.

"Damn," Naruto grumbled. "First Sasuke and now you. He actually tried to get me stuck with some basic instructor! How come he chose you two?"

I shrugged, motioning towards my neck. "He chose me to keep an eye on my mark. He chose Sasuke probably because Sasuke is his favorite."

"Favorite!" Naruto screeched. "I don't think so! I'll show him that I should be his favorite."

"Why can't it be me?" I asked curiously.

"'Cause you're everyone's favorite," Naruto said dismissively. "Besides, Sasuke and I won't share you."