Arc III - Marked

Disclaimer: Nao is mine, everyone else is Kishimoto's. The troll.

Warning: Violence, fighting, panic, pain, you know. the usual.

Beta: Kalafina94

Beta: silverseed

Edit: 1/1/18

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

(Third Person POV – Sasuke)

Sasuke swallowed roughly, his eyes never straying from the freak of a man that had attacked them. Yellow eyes, slanted into snake-like slits, were wide with unhidden fury. When Nao had finally stopped screaming, slumping unconscious in Sasuke's lap, the snake man pulled back.

"Impudent brat," he hissed, his voice low and smooth as ice.

Sasuke did not reply, words failing him for the first time in a long time. He was sure, damn sure, some part of him was furious, but that part seemed so small and detached that he was able to ignore it with ease. Now was not the time to allow emotions to rule over him. He had two injured teammates and a foe that would not die.

Finally, for what seemed like an eternity, Sasuke found his tongue. "What did you do?"

The shinobi's eyes met with Sasuke's, narrowing with annoyance. "It was a gift to you, originally. Something I cannot produce twice of so soon, so it would seem you will have to wait a bit more for yours, Sasuke-kun."

"That doesn't answer my question," Sasuke replied, struggling to keep his voice even.

"If she lives, you'll find out on your own," he said dismissively, "but I suppose for now it would be in my best interest to leave. I wouldn't want to be found out so soon, I'm afraid. Until we meet again, Sasuke-kun. And rest assured, we will meet again."

Before Sasuke could react, the man merged with the tree behind him, disappearing from sight and hopefully for good. When he was gone and Sasuke could no longer sense his chakra, nor his presence, Sasuke finally glanced down at the teammate in his lap.

Nao was breathing in short ragged pants, her face screwed up in pain. Sasuke carefully felt her forehead, annoyance flaring through him when he found it unnaturally warm.

Shit, Sasuke thought. This exam is becoming more and more of a hassle—

His arms wrapped around Nao and he shakily pulled himself up, silently grateful for her tiny body and light weight. If she weighed any more, Sasuke doubted his fatigue would allow him to carry her further. Speaking of more weight—

Sasuke glanced over to Naruto, who was laying down on a tree branch, unconscious.

Damn it, Sasuke cursed again. Why did Naruto have to faint, too? Now I have to carry his sorry ass, as well.

With a reluctant sigh, Sasuke kicked off in said orange shinobi's direction.

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Both of them were still unconscious halfway through the night when Sasuke finished fortifying their hideout. Hidden high up in the treetops, Sasuke had set up various traps to not only alert him of enemy presence, but hopefully take a few enemies out. After applying the last explosive trap, Sasuke let out a relieved sigh.

Jumping back up to the top, he landed in between Naruto and Nao. With a tired, jaw breaking yawn, he switched both of their cooling rags. Satisfied they would both be alright without him for the rest of the night, Sasuke settled himself down a little ways from them and closed his eyes.