Arc XI - Jiraiya

Disclaimer: Sadly, I do not own Naruto. :(

Warning: Mn. Nothing much, I think. Hints of death, etc.

Beta: Kalafina94

Beta: silverseed

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Interlude - Omniscient - 7

"No body?" Tobi repeated, staring at Zetsu. "What do you mean there was no body?"

"We mean, when we went to look for Yagura's corpse, we didn't find it. But we found the bodies of the bandits," Zetsu said.

Tobi stood up slowly, his mind going momentarily blank. "He could not have survived that on his own and there was no one in Kiri that would have helped him. I highly doubt any of the other villages knew what was going on, much less have assisted him."

Zetsu continued to stare at Tobi, and Tobi's eyes darkened. "Tch. What an annoyance. Find him. If he's still alive, and the Sanbi is still with him. we need to find him. Soon. We can't take on the higher-level bijū without first sealing the Sanbi. Go."

Zetsu bowed his head, melting into the floor. "As you wish, Tobi."

Tobi watched him leave for another moment before turning away, his eyes narrowed thoughtfully. Who could have found him?

. . .

. .

.

I glanced back at Jūgo, hesitating. Finally making up my mind, I knelt down beside him, pulling out some rope and chakra-sealing papers. After I bound his hands and feet, and placed the seals over them, I turned on my heel and sprinted in the direction of the explosion.

Leaping up onto the tree tops for a vantage point, I took a moment to gape at the destruction.

"Nao! Are you alright?"

My hands flew up to my mouth to cover my startled squeak. Yagura landed on the tree next to mine, part of his mask broken off to reveal his left eye. His clothes were a bit tattered, but other than that, he was alright. I felt myself calming at his presence. I always took comfort from being near him.

"I'm fine," I assured him. "Are you? How did you get away so quickly? And what's going on now? I was in the White World, so I was oblivious for a while."

Yagura waved his hand in a hurried dismissive gesture. "I'm fine. We ended up switching clones. I managed to take down Yamato's clone easily enough, then we tag-teamed against Kakashi's clone, and finally my clone. Kakashi headed off to assist Sasuke, Yamato went to Naruto, and I headed to you. From what I saw of Sasuke and Naruto, though, I would say Sasuke's done fine and Naruto's throwing a temper-tantrum."

I let out a relieved sigh. "I was able to subdue Jūgo quickly enough. And Sai?"

Yagura's eyes narrowed. "He ignored orders and took off in Orochimaru and Naruto's direction."

"Orochimaru said he knew we were coming," I began hesitantly, "do you think Danzō tipped him off?"

"It's possible," Yagura allowed, "and I would bet my money it was, but we can't ignore the possibility of another leak."

I shuddered at that. The implications that someone who knew about SS —and who probably knew about Yagura and the Uchiha Massacre and Madara— betrayed the village was unnerving. "I honestly hope not."