Arc II - Graduation

Disclaimer: Sorry, don't own Naruto. If I did, everyone's OTP would have their own special episode / movie.

Warning: Gawd, I don't know? Fluff? Barely a fight scene?

Beta: Kalafina94

Beta: silverseed

Edit: 1/1/2018

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Four years later, a stupid exam, an eventful night, and finally we had graduated.

Right after school, I was pulled away from my friends to celebrate with my family. Naruto had failed the exam and was rather depressed, so I was even more reluctant to celebrate with them, especially considering how Shikamaru and Chōji had families like myself, but they did not; but Sasuke and Naruto both assured me they would be fine.

Still, I had only stayed for dinner before leaving in a rush to check on them. Naruto had gone out and Sasuke was waiting at home. Chōji and Shikamaru, as well as Tenten, arrived soon after myself. With their help, I made a batch load of Naruto's favorite desserts in hopes of cheering him up. However, much to our surprise, Naruto came home bearing a Leaf headband and was most excited.

It was a pleasant surprise, though.

And so, all of us sat together in our usual seats at the front row. Naruto to my left, Sasuke to my right and I in the middle with Shikamaru and Chōji behind us.

It was amazing, really, how no one questioned my friendship with Sasuke. Well, except for Ino.

It was inevitable, I supposed, that my sister would find out about my frequent visits to Sasuke.

I still remembered the look on her face when she discovered the truth—it didn't really matter how she figured it out; what mattered was her reaction and my own reaction. It was a terrifying moment for me. I loved my sister; I loved my sister dearly and the utter shock on her face was enough to send my heart pounding and guilt and self-disgust rising up.

I felt horrible. I had only been thinking in Sasuke's best interest, in what he needed. In the process, I disregarded my own sister's wants.

"I" I trailed off, unsure of what to do, what to say.

"Nao-chan," Ino said softly, her eyes trailing down. "He's the friend? Sasuke-kun's the friend you've been staying with, that you've been helping?"

"I'm sorry," I whispered, my eyes stinging and my fingers clutched tightly at the edges of my hoodie. "I'm so sorry, Sissy."

"Do you love him?"

I froze, looking up sharply at my sister and allowing feelings of revulsion to show on my face. "No. Sasuke-kun isHe's a friend, Sissy. He'she's family."

Ino eyed me another moment before she sighed, nodding her head tiredly. "I believe you. I-I already lost Sakura to him. I don't"

I hesitated a moment before I moved towards her, wrapping my arms around her waist and burying my head into her chest. "No. You won't. Not ever. I will always be your little sister and I won't ever let anyone take that away from me, away from us."

"So why didn't you...?"

Feeling tired of lying to my own sister, I decided to go with brutal honesty. "He didn't needhe didn't need to be admired or idolized. He didn'twhat he needed were people who would treat him as himself, not someone to be admired. He needed normalcy. I was... I didn't think..."