Arc XV - Her

Stunning artwork by Lammington on deviantART. 

Disclaimer: Naruto isn't mine. Nao so is, though.

Warning: Cliffie. Fighting. Drama. Angst? Eh. Sure. Angst if you squint.

Beta: Kalafina94

Beta: silverseed

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Interlude - Omniscient - 13

He watched them.

They were talking in excited whispers —well, the older one was excited, while the younger was less assured. Their heads were bowed together, though, and they were both still smiling. He leaned in the doorway, his arms folded across his chest as he watched them.

It was another long day for him. It wasn't an easy thing, dealing with all the screams, pleas, and crying. It especially wasn't easy to watch it all through the enemy's perspective. But it was for the good of the village. It was for the good of them. His precious little girls. And it was much easier to numb the emotions at work today than it was a decade ago. Time and practice really did assist with all kinds of wounds.

He was tired when he left the office but, as always, his mood and energy returned when he came home.

"What are you girls talking about?" he asked. He knew, of course, but it would be rude to only eavesdrop.

Ino looked up, her pale blue eyes sparkling. "I'm trying to convince Nao to take the Chūnin Exams with Chōji and me."

Nao shook her head. "I dunno. Sasuke and Naruto might not be too happy with me if I did that."

"Too bad," Ino retorted. "Come on, please? We need a third member for our team and you're the only one we trust with this!"

Inoichi's lips twitched in amusement at Ino's pleading tone. Nao looked uncomfortable and Inoichi knew she would give into her sister's wishes. He moved to stand in front of them before he sat on the couch, right in between them. Ino huffed in annoyance and Nao merely moved to make room. He put his arms on the back of the couch, leaned back and closed his eyes. The girls didn't wait long before they ignored him, going back to their discussion.

He listened to their squabble for a while longer before he pleasantly slipped off into the sweet state of oblivion.

When he awoke, the smells of dinner told him his wife had come home earlier, and the blanket wrapped around him and his two daughters told him they had fallen asleep, too, before his wife returned.

Inoichi stared at their sleeping forms, smiling softly. He wrapped his arms around both of them, brushing back a few strands of blonde hair. Ino was leaning heavily on his shoulder and Nao had curled up at his side.

"They've both been so busy with training," Inoichi heard a soft voice whisper. He looked up to find his wife leaning in the doorway, smiling warmly. "I'm surprised they didn't crash sooner."

Inoichi did not verbally respond, but he did look up at the ceiling.

He thought of his tiring day and his two daughters.

Sometimes I wish they never had to train.

. . .

. .

.

It was idyllic. Our. 'mission'. It had been a very long time since Sasuke and I had been together exclusively, outside of a mission or otherwise. It was nice to be able to talk over pointless things with him, simply enjoying his presence. I was worried about the others, of course, and I understood why Tsunade had sent us away, but it was nice that I was not alone in that regard. Of course, Sasuke did not verbally express his worry, or outwardly show it much, but after being with him for so many years, I could read between the lines.