Prologue

I'm a fairly observant person. I know more than people think I do, because I listen more than I talk. And I already know for sure, as I look at the boy sleeping next to me, that none of this would have happened if we both weren't as drunk as we were at the party we went to last night.

He was sitting by the fire by himself staring at the flames, when I clumsily sat down on the log on the opposite side of the fire from him. I lost my friends somewhere in the crowd and found myself needing some warmth, making my way over to the only source of heat, not even thinking in my drunken state to find where my friends had gone to. He looked over at me as he took a swig from his bottle of beer, his eyes taking me in as if it was the first time he had ever laid his eyes upon me—which, in an intoxicated sense, it was, because I had never been to any parties he attended before.

Being the observant type, I've already known for a few years that despite how good looking he is, he's not the kind of guy I go for, and I'm definitely not his type either. The girls I've seen him around school with are the cheerleader type. Always smiling, over the top happy and outgoing. The fun kind of girls. I'm far too quiet to be a girl he would ever be caught seen with. Unlike most people in our high school, he doesn't have girlfriends, and maybe considering the position I'm in with him now, I understand why, but I'm unsure if that's the reason. But I know for sure that I like the boyfriend type. I like boys who like some kind of commitment, which is something that I've never seen him portray when it comes to girls. Therefore, he could never be someone I'd consider.

I was surprised when he moved from his place on the log on the other side of the fire to come over and sit next to me after he stared at me for far too long. We hadn't exchanged any words that would have indicated an invitation for him to sit next to me, and yet there he was, closer than I ever would have let him be to me in any other setting aside from this.

He handed me his beer which I happily took a drink from, before giving it back to him and picking my own back up off the ground beside me and drinking it, the whole time not taking our eyes off of each other. The alcohol in me made me feel like I was comfortable and yet the tensity in the way he looked at me, should have made me feel otherwise. The sound of drunk people laughing in the distance and the crackling of the fire were the only sounds around us as we sat in silence.

We've been going to school together for four years now and not once had we ever really spoken to each other, except for in class if we had to. And so sitting next to him and not saying a word, didn't really surprise me in the least. What surprised me, was the way he looked at me, taking in my features, eyes flicking back and forth between mine, that couldn't seem to tear themselves away from him either, as if we were trying to have a conversation without saying anything. Except I was drunk and had no idea what he could possibly be trying to tell me.

Without warning, he grabbed my hand and pulled me away from the log and into the darkness of the trees around us. When I asked what he was doing, he shushed me before stopping in his tracks and pushing me up against a tree, covering my mouth with his hand as he pressed his body against mine.

My heart started to pick up its pace, unsure of what his motives were and I watched him as he looked back over to the fire which was a small distance away, listening to some girls who had apparently went to sit on the logs. I could tell they were my friends, knowing their laughs anywhere. We were far enough away that we couldn't be seen, but in my drunken state, I couldn't tell if I was scared or if I was excited with the fact he was pressed against me.

When he looked back at me in the dim light of the fire in the distance, I could feel his heart beat in his chest through his hoodie. Once again, his eyes flicked back and forth between mine as he took his hand away from my mouth.