Chapter 34

Watching Maddy's face fall with Niall's explanation of how the boy she was finally out on a date with wanted to switch dates, breaks my heart. I have mixed feelings about it all, because seconds ago, I felt so unbelievably happy that Harry wanted to save me from this train wreck of a date and now, so devastated that my friend is realizing she has no hope in hell to ever be with Harry.

This switcheroo, as they call it, was apparently only meant to happen when they didn't like the girl they were out with. How can boys think it's okay to do this to girls? As if we're all just games to them? I suppose I learned long ago that most people in this town just don't have feelings. That most everything is always about sex, and I can see now, why that is. Because everyone thinks that having sex with someone who doesn't have real feelings for them is more important than caring about themselves.

I didn't think I fell into that category, and yet here I am, caught up in the same situation as the rest of the idiots in this town. Except Harry doesn't know that I have no plans of sleeping with him again, until I get some real apology from him after what he said to me today.

And I feel that this is what separates me from the rest. I know that Harry doesn't have any real feelings for me and yet I still go back to him almost on a daily basis, but this time I won't let him get what he wants if he wants to talk to me the same way my parents do.

"Did you know that Niall was going out with Jayde tonight?" Maddy asks, glaring at Harry. "Is that why you brought me here? So you could do this stupid switcheroo?"

"I didn't know," Harry answers calmly.

"That's crap!" she bouts. "I thought there was something going on with you guys and you both just kept lying to me, saying I was crazy."

"There's no way he could have known," Niall intervenes. "Mine and Jayde's date was a secret."

She looks between the three of us, her big blue eyes taking us in, clear that she's trying to decide what to say next, or how to react to all of this. I know that she's hurt. I know her well enough to see that part of her wants to cry. But when her eyes meet mine and flick back and forth between mine and Harry's a few times, a different look falls upon her face as her cheeks turn her light skin a dark shade of pink and her blue eyes darken with anger. "So, you'd rather go out with Jayde then? You pick her over me?" she asks, after a long silence. "That makes no sense. She's so moody and ruins all our fun every time she's out with us. She never wants to go to a damn party, she's so boring. I can't believe you'd suggest a switcheroo to go out with her. Are you for real?"

"I'm done here," I say, scooting over, trying to push Harry off the bench, not giving him time to answer her. I hate that Maddy is supposed to be my friend and she's literally talking shit about me as if I'm not even sitting right here. I understand people say mean things when they're upset, but I just can't handle this right now. She's been a bitch too many times. "Would you please move, so I can get out of here?"

Harry finally slides off the bench to let me out. "I'm so done with you, Maddy. I'm done with your shit. Your're quite possibly the worst friend I've ever had. And to think I just felt bad that Harry just did this to you, but I couldn't care less to be honest. I'm done with your bitchiness and how fake you are and all your smart remarks you don't think I hear. I'm done."

"Are you sure you really want to switch dates now, Harry?" Maddy asks. "She's obviously crazy. Do you really want to go out with someone who's moody like that? You never know when she's going to snap."

She didn't even care to acknowledge what I said to her. She didn't care to give me a response. Didn't even fight back — she turned her cheek on me and back to Harry.