Chapter 21

During our walk through the woods to Harry's house to get his car, and the not so long drive to school, we discussed the rules of how things are going to be from now on. There has been many times since we started this whole thing, that Harry has done things that definitely have been considered strange to those around us, making them think something was going on. Or if it was Maddy, just flat out knowing and calling me out on it.

And this—could not happen again.

He said he would stop acting weird when I came around and stop staring at me in class, and if he had his arm around someone, he would continue to do so if I showed up. Basically agreeing that things were to go back to the way they used to be—before things somehow changed.

He dropped me off a block from school, so we wouldn't be seen showing up together. And despite the fact he is just across the hall at his locker when I walk to mine where my friends are, the way Maddy and Kate are staring at me, feels like he is right next to me.

"Am I seeing this right?" Kate asks. "Are you really here on time on a Friday?" She starts to poke me in different places on my body and starts to laugh. "Sorry, just had to make sure you're real and this wasn't my imagination playing tricks on me."

I smile and shake my head at her, as I open the combination to my lock. "Don't get used to it," I tell her. "It's probably a once in a lifetime occurrence."

"Morning ladies," Harry says, walking across the hall to us with Niall. "Check this out." He pulls his hair back out of his face and points to where his stitches once were with a proud look on his face. "I got them out last night. Looks alright, right?"

I watch as Maddy and Kate inspect his forehead and all I can think about is how I didn't even notice despite the fact I had been with him all night. He hadn't mentioned it either. 

"So, I definitely owe you one, Jayde," Harry says, making my eyes lock with his. "I never said thanks for taking me to the hospital that night and for being a good sport and not questioning everything before acting, no matter how weird it all was for you."

"It's fine," I tell him, turning back to my locker to get my English books. "You don't owe me anything. But you're welcome."

When the first bell rings, everyone starts shutting their lockers and making their way to class. Before I can go anywhere, Maddy stops me. "Can we talk?"

"Walk and talk," I tell her, throwing my backpack over my shoulder, walking in the direction of class.

"I'm sorry," she says. "You were right. I was worried about the wrong thing. I never should have come to your house. I don't want to fight with you. I miss you. This week has felt so weird with you avoiding us. I just want you back. I don't want a boy to come to between us, okay?"

"You do realize he wasn't actually coming between us, right?" I ask, looking over at her. "That it was all in your head?"

She laughs as she runs her hand through her long hair. "Yeah, I do now. I'm sorry," she says, looking back at me. I watch as the smile fades from her face as she stops walking. "I know he doesn't like me. I just really wanted him to, ya know?"

I stop walking to look back at her. "You do realize you're going to Cal State, right?" I ask. "High school boys are going to be nothing when you get there. Harry is just your typical high school boy who you will realize was never worth making your emotions go crazy for. Pretty sure me and Kate warned you about this before. He doesn't like anyone. We knew that long ago. You were just too stupid to listen to me!"

"Ya want to know what I love about you?" she asks, a smile forming on her face. "Is that you're always honest. A little blunt sometimes, but at least you're always real."