V - The Clandestine Triad - Part I

Elli

October 3, in the year of 8845, Reminis Calendar (RC)

"Aaargh!" Elli almost knocked into Marko as she sprang from the floor.

Sweat plastered her hair to her skin and her body wobbled. Someone was spying over her from her dream. She couldn't remember much of it, but she could feel the emotions. Vadiraj... How could he do that? She had never known that a Vampist was a mind reader. 

She was surprised that she had dreamed about Vadiraj in his study. It was just a dream, yet it felt so real. The way he scratched Netto's ears... It was actually heart-warming. She saw the way he treated his pet during her captivity, and she thought he was just being a hypocrite. Her dream affirmed her that there was another vicious man she should beware of. Dominic. He said he'll kill me. Even though it was just a dream, the fear lingered. Elli shuddered. 

Before she could tell Marko anything, a blast came from beside her. Roxy pointed her scythe to a table, and it exploded. The smithereens almost hit Elli but Marko cast a shielding rune, causing them to scatter on the floor five feet away.

"Why did you do that?" Marko scolded.

"I've told that you she'll slow us down. First, she was scared by the shadow ghouls. Now she's freaking about her nightmare. She's not fit for the quest," Roxy retorted.

"Hey, this is my quest, mine! You are the one who wanted to tag along." Elli ran her fingers through her hair in frustration before grabbing her sword. I am not going to show my weakness to that hag. I am not freaking about my nightmare. I am not weak.

Roxy prepared to argue, but Lukas stopped her. "I say, we shouldn't devastate this beautiful morning with both of your foul tempers. We must set off now."

Roxy kicked a stool aside and sped down to the entrance.

Elli's brows furrowed as she strapped her scabbard over her shoulder. A humming noise came from her stomach and she blurted out, "What about breakfast?"

"You had it yesterday," said Lukas. He sheathed his axes before running after Roxy.

Elli cast one last look at the slanted male statue before stepping into the street. 

Her heart plummeted to the pit of despair as she turned to Marko, "Roxy doesn't dislike me; she hates me. I'm afraid if argument happens again--"

"Hey, no matter what happens, I'll protect you." 

Marko's grey eyes stared deep into Elli's soul. Her heart throbbed. She turned her head away, not willing to let him see her crimson cheeks. Through the corner of her eyes, she saw him pout his lips. His trademark smirk spread across his face.

"You're blushing. Well, you don't have to be shy; you need a supporter anyway." Marko draped his hand around her shoulders, like a brother would to a sister. She planted her elbow into his stomach, and they laughed as they continued their journey. 

They walked past an alfresco wholesale market selling second hand magical items. There were vendors selling clothes that could expand or shrink according to the sizes of the owners, blankets that would scream when one urinated on them, and white shoes that would turn blue when one's feet became smelly. They giggled when a skunk opened up its cage and escaped. The owner circled around the stalls to capture it, knocking over plates of fried banana fritters.

Elli and Marko walked further until they reached a stall selling purplish candy floss. Elli's stomach rumbled and her feet became numb, unwilling to move another step. A man walked out from behind his stall and approached them. He wore a hood and he apologised as he had skin that was sensitive to the sunlight. He didn't want them to think him as rude. Elli smiled at him. She had a neighbour who was also photophobia, and she could empathize with the vendor.