XVI - The Earth Wanderers - Part II

Vadiraj

October 5, in the year of 8845, Reminis Calendar (RC) 

Vadiraj opened his eyes. He’d had enough drama for the day, but no matter how many episodes he had followed his favourite actress, he couldn’t grasp the ways of contenting her. He needed another input. He wore plainly that night, without his bone-woven cloak. He needed to go to the library, but not the one in Dominic’s school. He chose the one in a more suburban area, where there'd be no guards patrolling in it at night. It was located in a wooden shack, a single-storey, at the back of the Clandestine Triad’s house.

The library was lit only by three oil lamps. It had three shelves, each five decks. The first was labelled Cooking Recipes, the second Daily-Used Charms for Cleaning your Houses, and the last Romance. He strode to the last shelf without dilly dallying. His fingers ran along the covers, too many books. One caught his attention — How to Woo a Woman in Ten Steps by Alps Shehzad. He lifted the thick book. Ten steps? But two hundred and ninety four pages? He tsked.

He took the book, went to sit in an armchair at the left corner, and studied the biography. The author was a Golden-Born who had married thirteen wives from different realms, and he claimed he understood the ways a woman thinks. Vadiraj dabbed his index finger at the tip of his tongue and flipped the page. He thought the man had enough credentials to have his book read. Squinting, he read the first line, “A woman loves to be praised. A woman loves—”

“Do you think you can easily win her heart by reading?” a stranger voice rang from his left.

Vadiraj dropped his book. He was too engrossed in reading that he didn’t hear the approaching footsteps. He lifted his head. Standing in front of him was a hooded man. The man walked towards him and Vadiraj understood why he didn’t hear any footsteps — the man was floating an inch above the floor.

“Who are you?” asked Vadiraj.

“Someone who is more powerful when he's dead and someone who loves to help. Do you love her?” The ghost stared at him. Vadiraj couldn’t see his face but he felt a divine aura revolving around him. He took a step backward and nodded. The ghost continued, “But you don’t understand her.”

Vadiraj didn’t speak. He didn’t want to look weak in front of this stranger, who was a ghost.

The ghost sniggered. “Elli is a rebellious girl. If you give her pressure, she’ll fight back. If you force her to do things she doesn’t like, she’ll repel your violence. To tame her, you need time, like brewing a pot of great tea. Give her space but constantly remind her of you.”

“She hates me. Whenever she thinks of me, she curses me and wants me dead.”

The ghost didn’t response to Vadiraj’s doubt. He continued to mentor, “She is a girl who doesn’t read fashion magazine but fairy tales. She is a girl who doesn’t like to wear trendy clothes but medievalist costumes. She is a girl who doesn’t fancy going to clubs but dreams of attending a fairy tale ball. But, she is just like every normal girl, who demands love, care, and attention. Love is not through force, Vadiraj, physical or psychological. It’s like the feather of a swan, dedicate and gentle.”