XVII - The Red Merpeople - Part I

Elli

October 6, in the year of 8845, Reminis Calendar (RC) 

Elli’s eyeballs struggled in her closed lids. She had dreamed of Vadiraj again, and she was dancing with him! That was ridiculous. She wanted to get rid of the drowsy feeling of not knowing what was real and what was a dream. She couldn’t differentiate it anymore. She tried to open her eyes but failed. A searing pain protruded from the back of her head.

"My eyes, I can't see anything." She wriggled on the floor and felt a strong hand grabbing her.

"Elli, don’t panic. Listen to me, follow what I say," came Marko's voice. Elli nodded like a child on his lap. Marko spoke in a soothing voice, "I’ve just been through your situation. Guess I was as silly as you are to open my eyes when the explosion happened. Now, I want you to concentrate on a thing that really makes you happy. That helps to clear your vision. Trust me."

Elli nodded again. She recalled the time when her father bought her a tiara for her sixth birthday. The memory hurt her even more — her father would never come back to her. Her eyes burned hotter, as if there was tear gas trapping in the lobes. She shook her head and thought of the time she helped her mother in the kitchen. Her mother kept pinching her cheeks, when she proudly showed her the black cookies she baked. That memory made her miss those carefree days; the pain in her eyes grew wilder.

"Don’t force yourself, let the happiness come by itself." Marko patted her hair.

His voice comforted her. It was by then that Elli realised, she was happy now. She was glad she knew a bunch of friends that cared for her. But Sourpuss… Well, Sourpuss' coldness towards her had reduced along the journey. At that thought, the stinging pain in her eyes silently faded away.

She cleared her throat and said with a mischievous tone, "Hey, Marko, I think I won't be able to see the world again. Will you please send me back home? I don't want to be a burden and delay the quest. But if I walk back home myself, I might knock into a tree or drown in a river."

"What are you talking about? You’re going to be fine. We’ll seek for some witch doctor that’s more powerful than I am. I won’t let anything happen to you.”

Elli could hold her breath no longer and burst out laughing. "Gotcha." She opened her eyes and found Marko frowning at her. 

"That’s not funny." Marko pushed her away from his laps.

"Ouch, what did you just say? Something about not letting anything happen to me?" Elli blinked at him, and robust laughter soon infused the forest.

She sighed in relief. It felt so good to wake up to such a beautiful morning. Dew formed on the leaves like crystals. The phoenixes had collected berries for their breakfast.

"Roxy, how is your arm doing?" Elli asked, while chewing the berries.