XX - The Cupid Lake

October 8, in the year of 8845, Reminis Calendar (RC) 

The new group of nine walked further into the forest. They continued wading through itchy reeds and thorny roses until dusk had fallen. A creek wound out of a valley of violet hills. The foamy creek water portrayed sheens of orange under the fading rays.

The gang settled themselves in the opening between the hills and the creek. Soon, they split into small teams. Some went to gather wood fires; some had explored the vicinity area and came back with a dozen of wild hares. After the barbecue pit was built and the fire was set, they skinned the dead hares and stitched them through wooden sticks. Humming, Rooney the pygmy evacuated his herbs and spices out of his magical pockets, again. The Jackal-Men ate their meal in silence, nodding in acknowledgement while the Black-Borns relayed what they had endured along their journey.

Marko said, “Our friend from the town informed us the Vampists have attacked again two days ago.”

“I believe they’re breeding more monsters now,” said Maxim. “They used to be of thousands. When they were trapped under Mount Tampas, they had to sustain themselves by drinking each other’s blood. Their number barely exceeded twenty before they were freed. To form a stronger army, they’ll abduct any brethren and mutate them. The Underworld is in total bedlam now, but the Grim Reapers can do nothing. Without the Lucifers, they'll never be able to control the Vampists.”

They didn't talk much afterwards, each immerse in their own thoughts. Tears rolled in Benedict’s eyes, thinking of the fate of his family in the Underworld. After their dinner, Freda the Jackal-Woman showed Rooney her tail. The pygmy smiled faintly as he brushed his fingers along her fur. Lukas went to sit with Roxy at the edge of the forest. From their expression, Elli guessed they were arguing over something. She was about to creep up to hear their conversation when Marko approached her.

“Hey, how are you feeling? Do your lips still hurt?”

Elli shrugged and smiled at him.

Marko continued, “Maxim told me there's a place here, which is just nice for an evening stroll. Want to join me? I’m sure you’ll love the scenery.”

Elli nodded and Marko held her hand, leading her to the other part of the forest. Their skin brushed against each other, and his body warmth made her feel secured. They walked for ten minutes until they reached a lake. Golden mist wove in mid-air above the lake while illuminating trees ringed the shore. Colossal pigeon holes were carved out of the tree boughs, each was lit with the light from the fireflies. Elli immersed in the wonder of nature, when all of a sudden, a wing creature flew towards her.

The creature was the size of a new-born infant. Her body was covered with glowing green leaves and silver flowers that reflected the beam of the moon. She had pink wavy hair that reached to her torso, and her wings were outlined by golden glints. In her arm, a dainty harp appeared; and strapped on her brown waist belt was a golden pouch.

Marko said to the wing creature, "Good evening, you must be Gwendary, the chief of Cupid Lake. Maxim told us about you and we’re just wondering whether we can stroll along the bank of the lake. My name is Marko, and this is my friend, Elli."

"Oh, of course you can." Gwendary stretched out her small hand and shook theirs. "Oh, she is a lovely one," she said with a wink.

"You are so cute." Staring starry-eyed at the cupid, Elli returned the compliment.

"Oh, I am someone you should address as ancient, my love, not cute. I am three hundred years old now, going three hundred and one this winter."

Elli and Marko's mouths formed a wide O. Gwendary chuckled and said, "Such a lovely couple. Hmm, I can help to spice up your evening."