IX - Pokkadon Poltergeists' Pub

Elli

October 3, in the year of 8845, Reminis Calendar (RC)         

Elli and her friends continued walking. The trees grew tall, bald and barren. Threads of blue fainted from the sky. They had been circling the forest for hours. The soil beneath Elli's boots kept pulling her down. Feeling unsure, she urged Lukas to consult the map, for the third time.

"This is a piece of child's drawing. Where did you get this from?" Sitting on the giant's shoulder, Rooney grumbled. His stomach drummed in agreement.

"I stole it from a shop." Lukas kept the map back into his pocket before pointing to a building with a sign, reading, Pokkadon Poltergeists' Pub. "Let's get some food before we proceed."

"You've got to be kidding me," Elli debated. "That name alone sounds creepy."

"So, are you going to admit that you are a timid rat now?" Roxy let out a derisive laughter.

"Will not. Why don't you, who are so cock-head, go first?" Elli taunted.

Roxy stared at Elli; her head tilted in a quizzical way. A smirk bloomed up Elli's face. The species in this kingdom didn't seem to understand some urban words. Great, I can keep creating.

Marko crossed his hands, making a no-no sign. "Girls, let your tongues rest and let your feet do the work." 

The girls threw one another some final glares before walking behind the men.

The double-storey pub nestled in a cluster of grey yew trees. The door of the pub opened on its own accord before Lukas could bring his fist down on the wood. Benedict the giant squeezed his head into the door and the pub extended, allowing him to enter. 

Silhouettes with fluorescent hues whisked through the sextet's bodies. Elli felt her bloodstream turning to ice as a plump pygmy poltergeist flew out of her torso. She gripped her stomach, scared that her intestines would flow out along with the poltergeist. Apart from the spine-chilling ambience, she felt a pair of demonic eyes on the back of her neck, scrutinizing her. This place was definitely not safe to hang out. They needed to get out of here.

Seeing their nervous look, the bartender, an old poltergeist in military attire, waved at them. "Welcome to Pokkadon Poltergeists' Pub." He grinned and his jaw dropped to the counter.

The group forced a smile and prepared to dash out of the pub. Wham! The door shut tight. Benedict bumped his body against it but it merely budged.

"Menopa!" The Black-Borns pointed their wands at the door knob. Red runes with the shape of chainsaw ground incessantly on the wood, but the door appeared as stock-still as it used to be.

The bartender said again, "My dear patrons, once you step into my pub, you can only get out when the sun shines again. Fear not, we don't dwell on human flesh. Come, I'll lead you to your table. Too bad that you're late. The cocktail party ended ten minutes ago."

The bartender beckoned to them. The group tagged along behind his shadow. If they were no way out, they could only play along, praying silently that dawn would arrive faster.

Elli had never encountered poltergeists before, but her human friends told her that they had no shadow. The queer scene before her made her throat lose her voicing ability. Swallowing down her fear, she hazarded a look at the interior design. On the walls, red candles were placed in red grinning skulls. The hall rang with music which caused her hair to bristle like the tails of rattlesnakes. Poltergeists of all shades whooshed out of the walls to study the newcomers.