VII - The Hellhounds' Attack

Elli

October 3, in the year of 8845, Reminis Calendar (RC)         

A dozen of hellhounds, each shy of the size of a ten-wheel truck, stormed into the lobby, snapping their fangs at any moving objects. Their eyes, like emulsions of blood, created a huge contrast to the scintillating chandeliers. Their hair was coarse and was plaited into stubs of braids. When they moved, red dust swirled around them like the aura of devils. The patrons of the mansion scampered behind any shades they could find at the sight of their enemy.

"Vadiraj's hellhounds! A bite from it will send you to the Underworld," Elli exclaimed. 

"Howdy, hellhounds, today will be your second death-days." 

Marko bounced off his seat; his scimitar in hand. 

The beasts pounded onto the quartet with ferocious growls, welcoming the fights.

The beast in front of Elli greeted her with a grotesque grin. Blots of black blood lined its gum. Before Elli could unsheathe her sword, the hellhound brought its fangs down on her. She dodged and punched it hard in the face. She'd forgotten that a hellhound had hair coarser than any brushes, and that blow did more damage to her knuckles than to the hellhound. The creature charged forward. Elli crouched, just in time to attack its unprotected belly.

The beast laughed, teasing her weak punch. Shaking its body, it whammed at her stomach in return. The force sent her flying into a potted plant, and blood dribbled down from the corner of her lips. Her attacker laughed and sped towards her. It gave Elli the best two seconds to withdraw her sword and she pierced it through the hellhound's body. When it collapsed on its weakening limbs, she willed her energy to her sword hand and liberated its head from its body.

The scent of blood made the other hellhounds more energetic. One of them whammed at Elli, and she lost grip on her sword. She had to hold its body with her arms instead. Locking her fingers around its neck, they started — wrestling. The weight of the beast pumped all air out of Elli's lung, almost. Purring noisily, the beast spilled black saliva all over her. It raised its front paw, readied to high-five Elli's face, but she blocked its move. 

Rolling on the floor through the gaps between the beast's legs, Elli stood up and backed away. When she found the distance was good enough for her to create the momentum she desired, she sped forward and whammed her side body against the beast. 

It flew towards another hellhound, which was scaring some elfin kids. They must've got separated with their parents in the commotion. Elli's feet yelped in pain and she stood up with great effort. Cursing, she limped to where her sword lied, retrieved it, and slew off the heads of the two hellhounds. Ten feet away from her, she saw the pygmies climbing up a hellhound. They dug their nails into its skin, plucking off its hair. The hellhound shook violently, like a dog trying to get rid of fleas. The hairy pygmy fished out his pan-sized gold and bonked at the beast's head. It gave out a fuzzy sound like a haywired machine before collapsing on the floor.

Romping around the lobby, Elli searched for her comrades. Where's Roxy? 

She couldn't bring herself to trust Roxy anymore after seeing the peculiar way people kept eyeing her. In front, she saw the male Hexalogiant heaving up a hellhound as if it was nothing but an overnight laundry basket. He tossed the beast towards two hellhounds which was frightening some waitresses. Marko scouted forward and sliced them apart. Blood dripped from his scimitar, and he wiped it with the leaves of the potted plants. 

The male Hexalogiant hid his family behind a pillar before joining the fight. 

Sensing their unprotected prey, two hellhounds bounced onto the female giant from both directions. They growled and bit, like Amazonian women snatching clothes at the garage sale. To protect her baby, the mother covered him with her body. Six of her arms swept through the air, trying to knock the hellhounds away. She'd taken many bites until her body collapsed on the floor. The beasts howled and all of a sudden, chasms formed on the ground and black smoky fingers rose up. With a loud snap, they bound around the giants' limbs. The chasms widened and within seconds, the victims were being pulled down into the Underworld.