I - The Blue Portal - Part II

Vadiraj

October 1, in the year of 8845, Reminis Calendar (RC)

After making sure that the ripples had swallowed up two of his men and Elli completely, Vadiraj turned to the remaining Vampists. "Guard the portal," he commanded, before throwing one last look at his homeland. Set five miles from the waterfall, the cottages and magical accessory shops slept like innocent toddlers. The airborne highways for animal carriages had quieted. He thought, soon, both worlds will be mine, before stepping into the swirling water.

He closed his eyes shut as he fell into the bottomless pit. An invisible force tugged at him -- tossing him from one side to another as he descended through the channels connecting the two worlds. A bright light flashed. He squinted until finally he was thrown out of the portal like a sack. The first thing he noticed was the smell. It was strong and familiar, a lot like the kerosene that his people used to light the oil lamps. Only, it was nastier. Sneezing, he took in the surroundings, and couldn't help but notice the huge contrast between the two worlds. In Reminis, sorcerers had to travel with their carriages using the air-highways, while the pedestrians enjoyed the cobblestone path to the last sunrays. Though Reminis had high population, there was no pollution.

Here, the people clogged up the whole road. Whereever he looked, people were milling about. He hadn't anticipated how crowded this place would be.

Cringing, he thought about the changes he could apply to this Modern World. I'll enforce a better traffic system once I conquer this place. His eyes landed on a weird looking pole with jumping colourful lights, which had been planted in the middle of the road. To his surprise, the whole road was filled with such poles. He shook his head. I'll turn all of these horrendous poles to blood vending machines.

Stroking his goatee, Vadiraj continued to survey the surroundings.

Stray dogs whimpered at the sounds of his boots; birds hooted and flew away from the trees. He frowned at the dogs; those dull-witted eyes made him irate. His hellhounds were tenfold larger and smarter. He promised that these dogs would be one of the first creatures he pointed his staff at once he owned the place. He would leave enough blood in them so they could mutate. What about the birds? Hmm, I'll feed them to the dogs. He never favoured winged creatures.

As he wandered around, he realised something was wrong. He was too caught up thinking what he could do to this new kingdom that he'd forgotten the reason he was here! Where were his goons? He called for their names mentally. The Vampists came scrambling to him.

"My Lord, she-- she had escaped." They panted. Their cloaks were torn; their faces bruised red.

"Fools! I can't let you handle things on your own for a moment. Which way?"

They pointed to the edge of the bustling pavement, where they could still see the top of Elli's brown hair. Quickly, they shoved past the crowd to reach her, when a bunch of teens came from the other side. Their hands outstretched, exploring every inch of Elli's creamy skin.

Vadiraj's body turned to one like a wind. In the next instant, he appeared next to the teens.

"She's mine!" Gritting his teeth, Vadiraj swung his staff and batted the teens away.

"Hey dude, who the hell are you? And who do you think you are? You do dress funny, don't you?Halloween is still far away!" The same punk belched, while flipping Vadiraj's cloak.

Vadiraj bared his fangs, and the teens laughed harder.

"Oh Jesus, this one is really dressing to the top! We won't interfere with your silly game now. Let's go, guys! We'll find some other chicks." The drunkards moved away, zigzagging along the pavement. Their noise had wooed several curious crowds.