0 - A Backstreet Boy - Part II.5

Vadiraj

In the year of 8835 - 8845, Reminis Calendar (RC)

Vadiraj and his sister changed into their combat suits before setting off. With Dominic's guide, it took them a mere ten days to chop away tendrils and course through brambles until they finally reached the Mount of Bi-Zantine. The night had fallen. In front of Vadiraj, the Gate of Hell stood majestically in a black mirage. Vadiraj could feel the Staff of Januska calling for him from behind it. Yet, he couldn't go into the Underworld, not when he was still a living mage.

His sister gripped his arm. "Come back undead."

For the first time in twenty years, real fear glinted across her eyes.

Vadiraj gave her hand a light pat. "I will."

"The moon is out." Dominic pointed skyward. "We must carry out the ritual."

Vadiraj brought out a dagger from his cloak's pocket. Dominic began reciting some mantra. Closing his eyes, Vadiraj thought of the realms he could conquer at a young age of twenty. His greed towered. With a swooshing sound, he stabbed the dagger into his own heart.

A silvery wisp of silhouette -- his soul -- flew out of his own temple. After casting one last look at his body, his soul flew towards the Gate of Hell. However, he didn't go into the Underworld. He went into a void of foamy whiteness, but he wasn't afraid. He felt himself weigh light like a rubbery ball, bouncing off and floating along the clouds. His greed spurred him forward until he saw the emerald Staff of Januska with a fang-bearing serpent skull floating in mid-air. 

He closed in.

The staff began to gleam in red, calling to him. Vadiraj stretched out his hand. His fingertips brushed against the cold surface when a huge shadow pounced on him. Vadiraj tried to push away the heavy lump on him, and managed to roll out from the weight after some intensive struggles. After his shock ebbed away, he realised that his attacker was a four-foot tall hellhound with an emerald stone embedded on its forehead like a third eye.

Such a beauty! Exotic! Intimidating!

The creature growled. Its front legs bent in a threatening angle, ready to strike.

"Easy, I'm not going to hurt you." Vadiraj crouched next to it, his hand outstretched.

The creature growled again, the sound echoing around them. It had almost bitten his hands off, but Vadiraj backed away a step and tried to calm it. Unflinching, he scratched its ears. The hellhound still purred but in a less aggressive way. Tilting its head, it studied the man before him. Vadiraj put his hands down and stared back. A moment later, the hellhound leaned forward and sniffed him once before pulling back and bowing its head. 

Vadiraj smiled. Whatever quality the creature had sensed in him must be worthy of the staff. Stepping forward, Vadiraj grabbed the staff and felt an instant surge of power in his veins. The Staff of Januska... It belonged to the previous Chief Vampist. Vadiraj knew not what fate had befallen his predecessor but he vowed to find out the truth. This hellhound... He looked at the black mass in front of him. It must be his idol's pet. Such a loyal creature.

As he pointed the staff at the hellhound, the creature knelt on all four before him.

"Wait for me here. I'll come back with a unique name for you," Vadiraj commanded.

The hellhound made a bowing gesture and wagged its tail. Vadiraj scratched its ears again, before stepping out of the void. His soul whisked back into his temple. He felt revitalized and invulnerable. He died once, and he earned longevity in return.