VI - Rock-Fella Mansion

Elli

October 3, in the year of 8845, Reminis Calendar (RC)

Elli and the Black-Borns didn't have an inkling of what misfortunes might befall them. Nor did they realise that they'd attracted many eyes to lay on them. Vadiraj always had Elli on his watch; and there were those hidden eyes of the patrols of Tangle Wood. They didn't know. Once they left the prophecy house, they discussed the lies they could tell the guards. The sky seemed to drop an inch lower at every ploy they thought of; the wind howled louder in disagreement.

Fear coloured Roxy's face for the first time. "We've never set foot on Tangle Wood before. I heard some rumour that--" Whatever rumour Roxy had heard before, she couldn't bring it up to share with the others. Shaking off her agitation, she stuttered, "What would the guards look like? What if they have a kind of magic that we can't fight?" She sniffled to distract them, but Elli noticed her quickly hide her shivering hands into her coat pockets.

"Roxy, don't panic. Just tell them that you dropped the pass." Lukas placed his hands on her shoulders and stared into her quavering amber eyes. "I'll always protect you."

Minutes later, they arrived at The Mirage of Agatium. Elli's eyes widened as she admired the rainbow-hued mirage. Marko, however, didn't look as excited as she was.

He frowned as he regarded Elli. "I almost forgot. You're not born here. Will the Golden Pass grant you entrance through the mirage?" Marko tapped his chin anxiously. "It's risky but we have to try. Come, stay close to me." He held Elli's hand as they walked through the mirage.

Elli felt a jolt of electricity zapping at her. She was surprised as she didn't feel a tinge of pain at all. In fact, she felt revitalised. She recalled Vadiraj mentioning about the lethal threat the mirage would pose to foreigners, but she didn't feel like she was suffering from any injuries. As her mind was spinning, trying to work on any logic, she heard Marko blowing a sigh of relief. Elli looked behind her. She was now standing on the other side of the mirage. 

Seconds later, Roxy and Lukas appeared next to her.

The bright morning induced their buoyant mood. The sun had ridden a golden chariot over the sycamores, spreading cosy warmth across the forest. The place was scented with fresh berries, as if someone had given it a foamy bath.

From the branches over their heads, birds were chirping. Dorris pleaded in the bag, and Elli allowed her out for some fresh air. She clasped the jukebox to her coat pocket and Dorris tweeted. Marko whistled along, and the rhythm brought a faint smile on Roxy's lips. Their pace became lighter, and they continued walking along the forest trail for what seemed like an hour, until they saw a lake. Roses, chamomiles, and daisies blossomed along the banks, brightening up the lake as their soft whimsical colours reflected in the ripples. The wind blew and the flowers danced, singing, twinkle, twinkle, as if they had bells attaching to their necks. 

The quartet waved to several wizards who were fishing by the lake, before continuing their journey. The scenery changed from clusters of bamboo to tall oak trees. Not long later, they arrived at a wooden arch. A signboard as huge as a train compartment hung in between the arch. Golden runes danced on it, showing, Tangle Wood. Sculptures of unicorns, sphinxes, and dragons paraded along the signboard. They sprang to life and bowed before the newcomers. 

Roxy's smile faded.

Dorris hummed all of a sudden, "I can feel different frequencies emanating from the other sprites. Fellow adventurers, I must say, slow down for the first check-point."

The pace of the group became heavier at Dorris' announcement. 

The quartet continued walking for about fifteen minutes, before arriving at a booth set next to an emerald pool. Pink lotus plants grew up tall, their petals stretched out like umbrellas. A fountain constructed with antique pots and porcelains appeared in the middle of the pool. The place looked like the perfect site for an afternoon tea. Water flew down from the fountain to a miraculously dry platform, where a woman sat by. Drawn on her forehead was a pink lotus tattoo, making her look divinely elegant. Her emerald hair was braided over one shoulder. As she saw the quartet, her green eyes sparkled with genuine hospitality.