XXV - The Crazy Whirlpool - Part I

Elli

October 10, in the year of 8845, Reminis Calendar (RC) 

Elli woke up suddenly, as if there was somebody pushing her from somewhere high, and she fell down hard on her back. That was the feeling of rejection. Even though it was just a dream, but it was so real, compared to her previous dreams. She could really feel Vadiraj’s presence in her dream, him ripping off her gown, kissing her. But the pain when he asked her to leave without looking at her, it hurt her. She felt lost, as if she had lost someone dearest to her, apart from her parents.

You said you love me but you pushed me away. Am I a toy to you? she shouted to the void in her mind. That was where she always heard Vadiraj’s voice. No reply.

She bit her lip and banged her fists on the bed. Liar! Her body shuddered and hot tears flown out of her eyes beyond control. Hugging her trembling body, she looked down. Her gown was all torn. She couldn’t care what Miranda would say about the damage. The damage Vadiraj did to her was far greater. You must have your reason. You looked at me as if I’m your mortal enemy. What had scared you? Answer me! No reply. Elli didn’t manage to wait for one too, when a ring of gentle knocks came from the door.

Elli wrapped a towel around her body and opened the door.

“Oh dear, what had happened to you? Have you been attacked? Are you injured?” Miranda fussed.

“I-I’m sorry, Miranda. I spoiled your favourite gown.”

“Oh silly, that’s nothing. Are you all right? Why are you crying?”

“I-I’m fine, thanks. I’ll just need to get a shower. Are my friends ready?”

Miranda nodded, placed a hand on Elli’s shoulder, and stepped out of the room, leaving Elli alone to freshen up. Elli shushed Vadiraj aside. He is my enemy. He is a villain. I’ve to kill him, she affirmed herself. Picking up her sword which had Netto’s fang mark on it, Elli steeled her mind and went to meet her friends. By the time she arrived at the alfresco dining area, the sun was taking its sweet time rising over the sea horizon. She finished her omelettes quickly and jogged to the beach. Marko ran after her.

“Elli, you don’t look good. Please, tell me if there’s anything I can help you?”

Marko grabbed Elli’s shoulders. True concern showed through her grey eyes, but that didn’t dissolve Elli’s sorrow. She hid her hands into her cloak pockets and feigned a smile. She had to be strong. She was glad Marko didn’t manage to ask more, when Jax strode forward and led them to the shore. Four big boats sparkled under the rays of the early sun. The housewives were piling dried food bundles onto the boats, while two burly men brought forth four binoculars.

“Rumour has it that no sailors have ever encountered the serpent’s whirlpool without losing limbs, or sight, or life, let alone escaping unscathed from the foul jaws of the creature. May our blessings ease your journey,” Jax said. 

“We'll. Once again, thank you, my friend.” Marko held Jax’s hands tightly.

The Jackals shared a boat, a calm expression on their faces. In fact, they looked excited, as if they were going to meet someone, or something they had missed so much. Elli and Marko took the second, Roxy and Lukas the third, while Rooney and Benedict scrambled into the last. The town people lined up the shore to bide them farewell. With a salute, the mayor pushed the boats off the shore.

Despite the wind that eased them forward, the journey was long, and they paddled until their hands were blistered. But, as the old adage went, “The leaves won't stay green evermore; the sea won't stay calm forever.” The water began to toy with the boats about mid-way to their destination. The waves had swelled a hundred fold. To the east, ten miles away, they saw an island that took the shape of a turtle. Two holes were pierced where the eyes should be, and the sunrays shone through the punctures, creating an eerie glowing stare. Twenty miles south of the Turtle Island, something huge emerged.