XXI - Debate in Underworld - Part II

Elli

October 9, in the year of 8845, Reminis Calendar (RC) 

Elli jerked up from her dream. Roxy lunged at her and grabbed her arms. “What did you see?”

A tingle of electricity coursed through Elli’s veins, and she slapped Roxy’s hands away. “It’s none of your business.” She didn't know whether her dream was true. The fact that Vadiraj claimed her as his bride made her want to hang herself, but a part of her was dissolving and melting into the way he said it. Her real anger, however, was caused by Dominic. She thought of Sam and fished out her jukebox.

Roxy stopped her. “What do you think you’re doing? You can’t tell them. If the Vampists find out that you told them, they’ll kill the students.”

“How can you be sure about that? If the students know they’ve been supplying their blood to the Vampists, they’ll fight against—”

“You don’t know what you’re talking about, human. Think: for weeks, their magic skill is lost along their blood. They won’t be able to win over the Vampists. Use your brain.”

Elli wanted to argue back but Marko placed a hand on her shoulder. “Roxy is right. What we can do now, is to constantly check on the students whether they're all right. I've communicated with Sam just now. They're fine so far. Come, let’s set off now.”

As time was steadfastly slipping away from their grasps, they set off, even before the cockerels could sing their songs. Afar, the sun took its own sweet time to stretch its pink fingers, having waked up from a long sleep. Apart from the snapping sound as boots landed on fallen twigs, the forest was filled with an orchestra of frogs trilling, monkeys calling, and birds chirping.

Sunrise, it always meant new hope, but in the deepest halls of Elli’s soul, she knew they had no hope left. She saw the armies of Vadiraj, stout and vicious. How could they, a small troop of nine, fight him? She silently hoped that they could invite more to join their quest, if she still could hope.

Marko walked side by side with her. He must have felt that too. Though their bodies stood next to each other, their souls had drifted farther and farther. He didn’t say a word, but Elli could sense his misery. She knew he was fond of her, but she’d only accept him as his brother, because of… Vadiraj. No. Why am I calling his name? He’s tricking my mind again. Elli shook her head, and her clammy arm brushed against Marko’s, sending him leaping aside with alarming shock. Pink splotches spread across both of their cheeks, a kind of demureness not because of excitement, but awkwardness. 

They walked till an opening when a fight blocked their path. A light green creature with a rectangular body was shooting leaves out of its scalp. Another white furry creature with a round body brought a flute to its mouth and blew a tune. The leaves turned limp in mid-air and dropped to the ground. Out of nowhere, another creature with a shade like underground mud hopped out of the bushes. It shook its ball-like body and grey spores were shot out of its black pouted mouth. Stench like rotten plants infused the air, and the creatures that were fighting against one another coughed.

“We should stop them. They'll kill themselves,” said Elli.