Chapter 4 - I Don't Know Why

CHAPTER 4: I Don't Know Why

"Oh, by the way, next week will be Kian's birthday! So, what's your plan, bro?" Mark uttered.

"Holding up a party?" Shane said and laughed slightly.

"No! I'm not a kid anymore! But I think some of my relatives are coming."

"I see." Shane responded. Then I notice him slightly smiling.

"I'm hungry now. Let's go!!" Kian said.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"Just come with us!" Mark said, and then he grabbed my arm and started walking.

"Okay."

We stopped at an establishment with the signage "Carlton cafe" on top of it. We entered the said cafe and we took a seat near the counter.

"What do you want to eat?" Shane asked.

"The specialty!!" Kian and Mark responded in excitement.

"You, Ana?" Mark asked.

"Uhm, I'm gonna order what you ordered, too." I replied, because I'm not familiar here.

"Alright. Wait for a bit." Shane said, and he directed to the counter.

"Four orders of the specialty... coming up!" I heard him say.

"Please tell your parents that our orders should always be free." Kian, who was kidding, said to Shane.

"Nope. Our business might lose its consistent customers!" Shane said in return.

Later on, our orders were already served.

"Wait. I'm a bit confused. Shane, uhm, you work here?" I asked.

"Yes." He answered.

"And at the same time, your family owns this?"

"Another yes for that."

"But... why are you working on your family's own business?"

"That's what you call self-employed!" He said. And the three of them laughed. I also joined them laugh.

"Well, kidding aside, it's my own way of helping my family and earn money by myself."

We started eating. Then Mark chatted with me.

"Ana, would you mind if I ask you one thing?" He asked.

"No, I won't. What is it?"

"Are you attending school?"

"Yes, I will. But I will let this school year end before enrolling in secondary school. I just graduated in elementary last March in the Philippines."

"How old are you now?"

"I'm 12."

"We're the same! But I will turn a year older next month. Kian will turn 13 next week. Shane is also 13."

"Oh, I see."

The sun was slowly setting down. We decided to go home.

"Okay. Bye for now. Thanks for letting me come with you. I really had a great time. So... see you again on... at Kian's birthday?"

"Yeah!" Then we waved at each other.

~ ~ ~

(29 April, 1993, Kian's birthday)

"It's already 7pm. Gonna hurry." I told to myself. I combed my hair for the last time, grabbed my gift for Kian and hurried downstairs. I saw dad at the living room, watching the television with mum Fiona and Ronnie. I went to them.