c h a p t e r | f o u r

"IS IT JUST me, or does everything we do somehow always relate to food?" I ask Hunter, as we walk on to the next aisle. I sidle past him to read the next items on the list.

Today is proper grocery shopping day, so unlike the days when we would go to Mrs Crossbury's corner store for food, we are currently in an actual supermarket. In a way, I prefer them to the smaller shops. It usually lowers the chance of us bumping into someone that we know. Or at least, know well enough to care.

"That's probably because it is," Hunter replies nonchalantly as he tucks the list in his pocket. He leans over and picks up two apples. "Red or green?"

"Red," I decide after a moment of consideration. Hunter nods accordingly, filling the rest of the basket under his arm with them. "I still don't know why you had to bring the basket, I already had a shopping cart."

Hunter observes my shopping cart for a moment with a cryptic look on his face. "I like carrying my own weight. Plus shopping carts and I have bad history together."

I open my mouth to question what he meant but immediately shut it again. "I... don't even want to know."

"No, you don't," Hunter agrees. He changes the subject by pulling out the list again. "The next item on the list is milk. Really, Harv? You could've at least made sure the items were written in order of where they are in the store. The milk aisle is like five aisles down."

I roll my eyes when he shakes his head in mock disappointment.

"Just pass me the list instead of whining like such a big drama queen," I tell him, snatching it away from him. "Okay. How about I go get the milk and you stay here and get the next item?"

"I'm okay with that," Hunter shrugs. He manoeuvres around me, subtly pushing the shopping cart in the opposite direction. "Go on Harvey, your cart is waiting."

I take a moment to glare at him (but seeing as this is Hunter, he simply replies with an unfazed smirk) before running after the cart.

Within a few seconds I was situated by the diary aisle when I am faced with an impossible choice: 1% or 2%.

"Or maybe, I should just get whole milk..." I muse aloud to myself. "Harry never shuts up about that healthy bones presentation they did in kindergarten."

After another few minutes of scanning the aisle, I finally giving up and take one of each, heading back to Hunter to ask him for his opinion.

"Hey, Hunt. Which do you th-" I stop short when I realise Hunter isn't in the same place where I'd left him. In his place are a surprised looking Asian couple I identified as Ethan and Kian's parents. They send me questioning looks as we make eye contact, forcing me to acknowledge their presence.

"Hey, Mr and Mrs Yakamura," I say in an awkwardly enthusiastic voice. "Did Ethan and Kian go to the camp thing too?"

"Y-"

"Duh, of course they did, unless Hollis wouldn't have wanted to go. But then again, our parents had already paid so I guess he didn't really have a choice..."

They blink at me.

"Anywho," I continue idiotically, "I better get going. Stuff to see, food to buy... Bye!"