c h a p t e r | t w e n t y - f i v e

WHEN WE GET back to Uncle Mani's later that evening, we explain the situation to our parents.

Our original flight was scheduled for 7:30 tomorrow morning, which meant we would have been back home by 10 am on Thursday with plenty of time to make it to Finn's surf competition at 3 pm. Though our flight hasn't officially been delayed yet, the numerous bad weather warnings broadcasting on every news outlet isn't doing much to keep our hopes up.

"You're right," Mom agrees grimly, a frown weighing down on her lips as she breaks her gaze from the television screen, "it doesn't look very promising... What do you suggest?"

"Well..." Hunter says, exchanging a look with Hayden. "The last ferry of the day hasn't gone yet."

"It leaves at 8 pm," Hayden continues, "so we should be back home around 10 tonight."

Dad frowns, checking his watch. "It's almost six right now. Will you be able to catch up?"

"The docks aren't too far from here," Uncle Manuel supplies. "I'd say it's around a ten, fifteen minute journey by car."

An optimistic look takes over Hayden's face. "So can we go?" he asks. "Mom? Dad? It's alright, right? I know it's not that important we attend the competition but—"

"We know, we know," Mom sighs. "Supporting your friend and whatnot. So who's going, all three of you?"

"When we checked online, we were only able to book two seats in advance because of the sudden high demand, but we're still checking for a third," Hunter explains, glancing to me.

Amidst the contemplative silence of the living room, a loud buzz erupts from Hayden's phone, catching my attention.

He withdraws his phone from his pocket, composure changing in an instant as he rapidly begins to text back; as if all the stress from the last few hours just washed away with that single notification. A name briefly flashes on the screen with the arrival of a new message, and through a sideways peek, I am able to make it out: GIA ♥︎.

"Hunter, you and Hayden should take the seats," I speak up. "I'll stay back."

Hayden's hands pause mid-text. His eyes dart up to find mine, a look of bafflement on his face. "What?"

"There's no need for that yet, Harvey," Hunter says. "We'll find another seat."

"Or during the time we're waiting around searching for one, we'll end up losing the ones we already have," I counter.

"Don't you want to go, Harv?" Mom asks me, inquisitive.

"It's not that," I reply, "I just think it'll work out better that way. Even without Finn's competition, Hayden, you said you were covering someone's shift Friday morning, right? If we end up having to take a late flight tomorrow, it'll be stressful for you to have to start getting up early the next day."

Hayden's brows furrow. "Well, maybe," he admits, tucking away his phone, "but—"

"And Hunter, you didn't get to watch Finn's last competition because you were babysitting Harry. It wouldn't be fair on you either to miss both."

"I'd prefer if Hunter was going regardless," Dad says. "I would feel more at ease letting you kids go with a legal adult than on your own."

"That's true," Hunter runs a hand through his hair, "but still, Harv, you're his coach. I think he'd want you there."

I'm surprised that Hunter is finally able to admit that I am Finn's surf coach without hinting that Finn has an ulterior motive to me training him. Well, even if he does.