c h a p t e r | n i n e t e e n

THE BEACH IS already packed by the time we arrive on the day of Finn's competition.

Lost under the noisy jostles of people bustling to and fro the sandy shores is an overhead tannoy, blaring indiscernible announcements that are about as pleasant to the ear as a thousand bumblebees building a beehive in your eardrum.

Interspersed among the crowds are the surfers — easy to spot with their surfboards in hand and blasé attitudes balanced atop their heads, traipsing down the beach to a station designated to register their attendance. Camera crews from local news stations fiddle with their equipment, sweeping the crowds for the best angles to capture footage of the event to come.

White Peak's Annual Surfing Competition...

I still can't believe I let Finn talk me into this.

"Do this many people care about surfing?" Gia stares in awe as she watches a group of kids (who look barely able to hold up their surfboards) walk past, debating which one of them was going to 'obliterate the waves' and win the whole competition.

Though I may have surfed competitively for over four years, Gia isn't quite as attuned to the surfing world. My most recent surfing competitions all took place outside White Peak, so she's rarely had an opportunity to attend in person. She isn't one to attend the Annual Surfing Competition event either, though I suppose this year she has other incentives...

My eyes momentarily flicker to the stack of large, white placards and the rolled-up cloth banner underneath her arm before I glance up to meet her gaze.

"I heard a lot of people from outside town are entering this year," I supply.

"I heard so too," Hunter says. "The prizes are decent this year, so I don't blame them. But there's a much larger turn out than usual. A lot of people here I don't recognise..."

He says that as if he expects to know every single person in White Peak. But then again, this is Hunter, Social Butterfly Supreme, so he probably does.

"Anyway," Hunter snaps, withdrawing his car keys from his pocket and twirling them around on his index finger. "I've got to go now. I'd like to stay and watch you compete, Finn, but it's really crowded here and I don't want to risk losing Harry."

"It's really not a problem, Hunt," Finn responds with a shrug, "I understand."

"Will you guys be okay?" Hunter asks the rest of us.

I look to Hayden and Gia before nodding. "Yep," I reply for us three, "we'll be fine. Thanks for dropping us off."

"It's nothing," Hunter replies. "Alright, I should get going now. I'll try to be back before the end. Good luck again, Finn. I'm rooting for you."

"Thanks," Finn replies casually, though the nervous laugh is coming back.

"You good, dude?" Hayden inquires once Hunter is gone, quirking a concerned brow.

"Yeah," Finn runs a hand through his blond hair, eyes darting about the place, "for now at least."

"You'll be fine," I insist. Turning to Hayden, I add, "What about Jay? He's coming too, right?"