c h a p t e r | s e v e n t e e n

THE LOOK ON Finn's face is nothing short of bafflement (perhaps with a hint of betrayal) when we pull up on Gia's driveway in Jay's blue sedan the day of her party.

"Gia lives at The White?" he splutters, eyeing us all like we just told him the Tooth Fairy wasn't real, or that the blue part of a two-colour eraser doesn't actually rub out ink.

"But you lot..." Finn continues, "you all... act as if it's a crime for anyone to even speak positively about The White, not to mention actually live here."

Jay's lips quirk in a smile as he turns off the ignition and lets the car fall silent.

"Yeah..." he says, propping his elbow near the window and resting his left hand under his chin. "Gia is a bit of a traitor, isn't she?"

"She moved here three years ago. Her parents are teachers so it's more convenient for them since it's much closer to the school," I explain. "She's still an honorary resident of the Peak 'cause she's lived there for more years."

"Don't think too much about it," Hayden tells Finn, reaching to the front seat to pat Finn's shoulder.

"Alright, let's go in," I say, opening the car door. "It's about midday now and we still have a lot to get done."

"It still amazes me how you say 'we' like you actually plan on helping," Hayden retorts from beside me, opening his door and exiting the car as well.

I know he's mostly joking so I don't bother to reply. While the boys start unloading all the stuff we brought with us out the car, I walk ahead to ring the doorbell.

Gia answers the door within seconds, grinning at me in delight. "Come in, come in all of you."

She swings the door wide open, beckoning us all into the living room with eager hand gestures.

"When did your parents leave?" I ask Gia as I settle into an armchair that's been pushed against the wall, while she continues to rearrange the rest of the furniture in her family's living room.

"Last night. They'll be back not tomorrow, but probably the morning after."

I nod.

Gia makes a rectangle out of her thumbs and index fingers, scanning the room through the gap in her hands as if she were holding a camera. She taps me lightly to get me to stand up, then proceeds to moving the chair to a different location.

Hayden and the guys lumber into the living room, each carrying a box full of snacks and other goods Gia requested for the party.

Upon noticing Hayden, Gia pauses and tells him, "In the centre of the room will be fine for now, thanks."

Hayden nods, dropping the package in his hand and going out the room again to get the final box.

With everything finally inside, Jay begins to unpack one of the boxes. "How many people have you invited?" he asks Gia.

"About thirty or so," Gia replies casually, "they're mostly from our grade, but I said they're allowed to bring guests. It's supposed to be a relatively small party." I notice Gia's gaze drift over to Finn. "I heard you went to Maddie's birthday, so you might recognise a few people."

"Let's hope I remember them all," he says jokingly, causing Gia to chuckle in response.

I shift to the floor to help Jay unload one of his boxes. Glancing up at Finn, I notice he now lingers by a glass cabinet by the entrance, looking at the Benedetti's family photos.