c h a p t e r | t w e n t y - o n e

GIA LEANS OVER one of the sleek marble counters that line the walls of Mo's Electronics, disapproval written all over her face as she turns to me.

"You guys are still doing Prank Week?" she asks.

"Of course," I reply. "Would I be a Mackler twin if I forfeited? The only way Prank Week isn't going to happen is if Hayden backs out first. Though... I'm sure you could convince him if you tried."

Gia frowns, backing away from me.

"Yeah, no. There's no way I'm getting involved in this." She spins round to face Jay, who is stationed behind the counter in his baby blue work uniform, looking like the last thing he wants is to be involved in our conversation. "Jay, remind me to stay away from theirs for the next five days."

Jay slaps a label on the small electronic gadget in his hand, dropping it among a tower of other electronic accessories that lies to his side. Without looking up at us, he murmurs, "Wise choice, to be honest."

I pout at Gia, choosing to ignore Jay's remark. "You aren't going to help me?"

Gia places a consoling hand on my shoulder. "I'll let you think about the answer to that one."

I sigh. I was expecting this, as unfortunate as it was. Gia may not know, but she has been instrumental to a lot of my pranks over the years. Hayden has a tendency to let down his guard around her, making her the perfect bait. It's a shame. I'll have to think of more inventive ways to lure Hayden in now.

"Hey, question." Jay sets down the charger cable in his hands, propping his elbows on the checkout counter and inclining forward to talk to us. "How much longer do you two plan on staying?"

"Sick of us already?" I joke.

"I'd just like to get back to work," Jay replies, quirking an amused expression as his gaze flicks over to the store entrance, "and you two loitering around here is scaring away customers who actually plan on buying something."

Gia and I look around the empty tech store.

"What customers?" Gia quizzes.

"Precisely," he answers.

"Don't worry, Jay," I say, a malevolent grin spreading across my face, "we'll be out of your hair soon."

I rest my back against Jay's checkout counter until I hear footsteps approaching. Hayden walks out of the 'employees only' area, making a beeline for Jay. He bares his teeth at his best friend, and I have to hold myself from bursting out laughing.

"Is it still obvious?" Hayden asks in a worried voice.

Jay grimaces. "Just... avoid smiling at any customers today. Or talking to them at all."

"It's that bad?" Hayden groans. "Ugh, I blame her—"

I ready my phone for the moment he turns to glare at me.

Click!

A light flashes and my camera roll is gifted with an angry picture of Hayden, exposing his muddy grey teeth. They were jet black before, but after an hour of scrubbing, followed by the application of a teeth whitening gel he'd bought this morning on his way to work, they have lightened up a bit.

"What's wrong with you, Harv?" Hayden barks. "Are you trying to get me fired?"

I lower my phone. "Oh, boohoo. Meanwhile, every time I sneeze, I still cough up flour!"

Perhaps Gia notices Hayden is about to deck me, because she immediately comes between the two of us, snaking her arms around Hayden's torso and slightly tugging him away from me.