c h a p t e r | t e n

"DO YOU HAVE any idea of what sort of pet you'd like?" the pet shop assistant finally asks when it becomes obvious I simply planned on staring hopelessly at the walls of exotic animals rather than buying one of them.

I glance back to her, noticing the displeased look on her face. There's really no need for her to look so grumpy — I haven't been here that long. I pull out my phone to check the time. Okay, fine. So maybe I have.

"Uh," I reply with a sheepish smile, "not yet. I'm still deciding."

"Would you like any help?"

"No, I'm fine for now, thank you." I'm not sure how she'd react to me saying I needed to get a pet for my five year old brother so I can win a bet against my twin.

With a sigh, the worker resumes her task of cleaning out a large reptile tank. Meanwhile, I go back to scouring the store for inspiration.

If only I had an idea of what type of animal Hayden planned on getting...

Out of the corner of my eye, I catch a familiar figure walking past that instantly makes me perk up.

"Finn!" I dash out the store and grab Finn by the arm before he can take another step.

Finn's eyes flash with alarm. He comes to a standstill. "You just called me by my real name."

"What? No, I didn't."

"Yes, you—"

"No time to chat," I hastily cut him off. "We have important matters to attend to."

Before Finn can object, I tug on his arm, dragging him back into the pet store with me.

"Blondie, so you talk to Hayden, right? I'm sure he's told you what pet he plans on getting my little brother."

Finn carries a bewildered expression as he stares around us, taking in the store. "So is that why you dragged me in here?"

"Clearly." I fold my arms and shrug. "So what's he getting?"

"I'm not sure Hayden would be happy if he heard you tried to weasel information out of me."

"Weasel! He's getting a weasel, isn't he?" I gasp. I cup my fingers loosely over my mouth, propping my thumb under my chin in a thinking position. "Hmm, bold choice."

"He isn't getting a weasel." Finn rolls his eyes.

"Then a ferret?"

"Doubt it."

I drop my arms, then lift my eyes back up to him. "So what is he getting?"

"I don't know..." Finn answers reluctantly. "What's in it for me?"

I pull a face at that. What's in it for him? I rack my brain for a solution.

Releasing a dramatic sigh, I bring my mini shoulder bag to my front and take out a small notepad and a pen. I spare a second to glare up at Finn, before returning to scrawl in big, bold letters across the white page: 'IOU'. Then I rip out the page and thrust it at Finn.

With my best saccharine smile, I explain, "You can cash in the favour any time. Whatever it is, I'll grant it for you."

"I mean, you could've just verbally said that you owe me one, but this is pretty cool too. Having it down in writing and all," Finn comments, surveying the piece of paper with a look that seemed to be a cross between mild amusement and respect. His gaze flitters down to capture mine. "Are you sure you won't regret it?"

"Would you like me to rip it up?"

"No," Finn quickly stuffs the note in the pocket of his light blue jeans before I can snatch it out of his hands, "I'll keep it. So you want help choosing a pet?"