e p i l o g u e

TWO WEEKS LATER 🍂

     "YOU KNOW WHAT'S always bugged me?" Gia says. "The single drop tears. How come they always cry so perfectly? It's not natural."

My eyes flicker to her. Gia's gaze is locked on her phone screen, and I notice she has earphones plugged in.

My brows draw together. "Are you still watching that k-drama? Stop it, we're in public. Plus, Amanda will be coming out soon."

"Your in-laws to impress, not mine," Gia comments without looking up, leaning against the railing of Finn's front porch.

I roughly elbow her.

Gia grunts, switching off her phone. "Fine. Deprive a girl one of her few pleasures."

"School's started. Is this really the time to be getting addicted to dramas?"

"It's precisely the time," Gia says. "I feel like all I do now is study. We've been back for like two days and I'm positive our teachers are trying to kill us. How are we juniors already?"

I sigh. "Tell me about it."

I tilt my head back to take in the sight above me. Veiny, brown branches of a nearby tree weave through a mosaic of oranges and reds and yellowing green leaves that flutter like a gentle heartbeat in the autumn breeze. I hear Finn's front door creak open and return my gaze down just as Amanda opens the door.

"Thank you so much for doing this, Harvey, Gia," she enthuses. "You girls are really kind."

"It's no problem, Amanda," I say. Gia beams at Finn's mother, folding her arms behind her back.

"I'm sure Leah appreciates it too." Amanda places a hand on the doorframe, craning her neck to peer back inside her home. "She should be coming out soon. But as I was saying, I know it's only been a few days, but I'm worried she isn't making friends. You both know Finn is very social, so he settles into anywhere quite easily, but I'm afraid Leah may be having a harder time."

"Mum, quit telling people I'm antisocial," Leah grumbles as she trudges into view. She digs her hands into the pockets of her denim jacket, pulling a face at her mother. "It makes me sound like a total mug."

"People still use 'mug'?" Amanda sounds surprised.

"I still use mug," Leah replies. "Harvey, Gia, thanks for the invitation, but I don't need to go shopping."

"Of course you do," I say. "Your mom says you haven't gone stationery shopping for school yet."

Leah shrugs. "I've got a pencil, a rubber and a fancy clicky pen. What else do I need?"

I gasp. "Gia, did you hear that?"

Gia shakes her head in dismay. "I want to believe that I didn't."

Amanda laughs, urging her daughter out the door. "Alright, you girls have fun."

I grin. "We will!"

Gia throws an arm around Leah's shoulders, guiding her down the porch. "To the mall!"

"We're walking?" Leah asks, horrified.