c h a p t e r | t w e n t y - s e v e n

THE BEST REMEDY for a chaotic week is a day at the Hole. Though last night ended in a definite high, to help counteract the stress brought on by the rest of the week, I prescribe myself 10 hours of uninterrupted alone time at the Hole on Saturday.

I wake up early in the morning to prepare, rummaging my room for the usual essentials: a selection of books to read (today consists of just two), a portable charger for my phone, my laptop for a bigger screen to binge-watch movies on, and a large tote bag to carry all these things in.

The Hole already has plenty of things to entertain myself with, but these are the items I tend to bring back home with me at the end of the day.

Scanning my room, I decide to grab a pair of headphones from the top of my dresser as well. The spare set I usually keep in the Hole is hidden somewhere inside one of the bags we took with us to visit my cousins — but searching for it now would require more effort than I am willing to put in at 9 AM.

On my way out the door, I stall, retreating back inside to roll up a blanket and stuff into my bag. The weather has been getting colder recently and the light throw I have tucked away in the Hole may not be warm enough to combat the evening chill.

I bustle down the stairs into the kitchen, surprised to find Hayden sat on the opposite side of the table when I dump my tote bag into the empty chair nearest to me.

His gaze is fixated on the laptop in front of him, vision aided by the framed spectacles that balance on the bridge of his nose. He's wearing a hoodie with the initials of an Ivy League university emblazoned across the chest, a memento from a school trip we went on last summer.

"You look particularly nerdy today," I comment, eyeing the speed at which Hayden is rapping against his laptop's keyboard. "What are you doing so early in the morning?"

While waiting for his reply, I walk across the kitchen to the pantry, hunting around for food I can take with me to the Hole. Would it be too much to take a packed lunch? I should at least come home for dinner...

Hayden pauses his typing long enough to throw me a glance. "That kid I used to tutor before the summer break. His parents are looking into starting classes again soon."

That's right. Schools are opening soon, aren't they?

"Ah." I nod, crossing over to the fridge to pull out a carton of juice. I take out a cup to pour myself a glass before almost immediately changing my mind, resolving to take the entire bottle with me instead.

At this rate, I'll need a picnic basket to carry all of this. We should have one around here somewhere.

"By the way, Harv, what's up with the bag and all the food?" Hayden says, reaching forward to poke the blanket sticking out of my tote bag. "You're not trying to run away from home, are you?"

I scoff. "Why is that your first thought?"

Hayden raises his shoulders in indifference, leaning back into his seat.

"Well, for your information," I answer, circling the kitchen in search of a picnic basket, "I'm spending the day at the Hole."

Hayden pauses. His voice drops a tone. "The Hole?"

I turn to him. "What?"