c h a p t e r | t w e l v e

FINN ISN'T HAVING a good surfing day.

In the past twenty minutes alone, he's wiped out so many times I start to lose track after the fifth time he gets knocked off his board by poor balance, an oncoming wave, a mix of the two, or just general bad luck.

It's a train wreck, watching it, but I can't help myself. Like a horrific accident waiting to happen, I look on from my bedroom window, knowing I can't change the outcome, but not being able to bring myself to look away nonetheless.

Is he doing this on purpose?

I've been avoiding Finn like wildfire since that evening he read to me at the Hole. It hasn't been easy, but I know the moment I meet him I'll be forced to honour my promise of being his temporary surf coach — and that's something I'd like to postpone for as long as possible.

Finn is surfing too close to the flat shoulder. He misses a chance to catch the approaching wave at its peak and so idly moves around the water for a bit. Then he gets caught up in a swell, and once again gets knocked off his surfboard and into the sea. It seems like he's too distracted to surf properly today and it makes me feel guilty.

Perhaps, this is his plan. He's trying to guilt-trip me out of hiding.

With a little sigh, I quickly veto that idea, distancing myself from the window. It's fairly unlikely that Finn would know that my bedroom window gave me a perfect view of the beach, and there'd be no way for him to guarantee I'd be watching him surf now. I'm just being paranoid.

I catch a glimpse of Finn's blond hair bobbing up and down in the water as he is caught underneath. He attempts a turtle-roll until he finally escapes, then front strokes towards his board.

Speaking of turtles...

Instead of stressing over Finn, I should probably go check on Bugs. It should be time to feed him.

I break away from the window and head next door into Harry and Hollis's room.

"How's our favourite turtle doing?" I say as I walk towards the terrarium.

Harry, who'd had his nose pressed against the glass, peels himself away from the large container to grin at me before proceeding to beg me to let him feed Bugs directly. 

><{{{(•>

"Shouldn't you be at work?" I ask Hayden when I walk into the living room an hour later to find him slumped on the couch.

"One of the permanent employees returned from his leave two days ago, so my work hours got reduced," Hayden replies monotonously, staring at the ceiling in a dejected manner.

"Jay's too?"

"Mm," he confirms in an equally sullen tone, "but Jay managed to snag two extra hours than me."

"Okay..."

My gaze drifts to Hunter who is lounging on the recliner opposite him. I send Hunter a questioning look, mouthing "is he okay?".

Hunter glances at Hayden before rising to his feet and walking towards me. On his way past, he leans down, level with my ear and whispers, "He's still a bit sensitive from the loss yesterday. Go easy on him."

My mouth forms a small, round 'O' in realisation. I make eye contact with Hunter long enough to give him an affirmative nod before he exits the room.