c h a p t e r | t w e n t y - s i x

I MISS MY bed. When we return home on Friday, the only thing on my mind is curling up in a ball under my covers and falling asleep for the next 10 days.

At least asleep, there are no swimming pools to almost drown in, or best friends to fall out with, or confusing boys to misunderstand your every action...

Everything about this week has been the opposite of the peaceful, uneventful summer I signed up for, and as I snuggle into my pillow, trying to block out the late afternoon sunlight streaming in through my window, I silently vow to myself to never leave my bed ever again.

Sadly, I end up breaking this vow twice within four hours of making it.

The second time is when I receive a text from Jay, which reads:

Jay: hey, heard you only just came back this morning. we still good for today or...?

Right. The movie. Today is that Friday. For a moment, I consider cancelling our outing with the excuse of being too exhausted after the flight. But that's not really true. The flight itself has been the least energy-draining part of my week. Plus, free ticket or no free ticket, I've been looking forward to this movie for weeks. It wouldn't be fair to cancel on Jay so last minute using such a feeble reason.

While contemplating what to do, I hear the sound of my bedroom door creaking open. At first glance, it may look like no one is there, however I have learnt to look a little lower down to spot Harry's head poking through the gap. I restrain myself so I don't appear quite as horrified as I feel when he traipses into my room, carrying a large bowl I have become very familiar with.

This is the reason behind me breaking my vow the first time round.

Unlike the rest of my family who have so far obliged to my request to be left alone for today, Harry has taken it upon himself to visit me every twenty minutes in order to force feed me my body's weight in animal crackers.

It was sweet the first time he did it, but by the third visit — with that same bowl that keeps on somehow magically refilling, I start to run out of nice ways to stop him from coming back.

"Harvey, I've got more!" Harry announces excitedly, handing me the bowl so he can clamber up onto my bed.

"Yay..." I say weakly, staring down at the bowl of miniature animal-shaped crackers. Where is he even getting them from?

"Harvey, have some."

"Harrybo, I don't—"

Harry dips his hand in the bowl, holding a small giraffe shaped cookie level with my mouth.

"Ahh..." he vocalises, wearing the most serious expression on his face that makes it so difficult to refuse him.

Grudgingly, I open my mouth up to accept his offering.

Harry is visibly pleased to watch me crunch on the cookie, taking it as his cue to reach into the bowl himself to stuff a small handful in his mouth.

"But Harry... why are you sharing your animal crackers with only me?" I ask the five year old. "I'm sure Haydie or Hunter will want some as well."