Chapter 11:

He got up early this morning and ran to the store, picking up breakfast on the way along with the covetted Morning After Pills. For some reason, he doesn't feel angry or surly this morning. He feels...happy. It's quite odd for him. He's never just felt happy. Not even when his foster mother got him the racing bike he always wanted. Or when he had sex for the first time with Cassandra Allistor. But today, he woke up feel happy, elated, bubbly even. He just doesn't know why.

When he pulls in the driveway, Carl is up and running around the wrap around deck chasing the neighbors cat. Usually Daryl would yell at him, but today, he catches the cat in one gentle swoop and plops him in the boys hands. Carl looks up at Daryl sort of surprised. He becomes shocked when Daryl actually smiles at him and ruffles his hair. Walking inside, Judith is in her bouncer and gurgles happily at Daryl. Going to her, he hoists her from the seat and tosses her up in the aor and then back down into his arms. The young tot giggles a squeals in delight as the man takes her into the kitchen and plops the back of things on the counter.
"Good morning!" He excitedly says as he passes Beth the baby. She was just getting ready to pour herself some coffee, but now is immobalized by the child. Grabbing the coffee pot, Daryl pours coffee in it, adds sugar and creamer and hands it to Beth beforetakimg Judith back and grabbing a bottle from the fridge.

"Someone's in a good mood today." Beth smiles and Daryl grins.

"Why shouldn't I? It's Saturday." He spins around and around before stopping and kissing Judith's forehead. "I brought breakfast."

"What's for breakfast?" Carl asks as he comes inside covered in cat hair.

"Donuts! My good sir. Creme filled donuts!" He happily says and Carl jumps up and down. Typically, Daryl wouldn't buy donuts- not for anyone, not even himself. But Krispy Kreme got him today. Something else has him today too.

"Donies!!!! Yey!!! Can I have one?"

"Of course you can!" Daryl spins around and puts Judith in her high chair. Grabbing the bag, he takes out the donut box, puts a donut on a plate and hands it to Carl. Then reaching in the bag, he takes the box of pills and hands it to Beth descretly. "And these are for you."

"What are they?" Carl asks and they freeze.

"Allergy pills. So she doesn't sneeze all over you." Daryl happily lies and Beth feels embarrassed for some reason. Taking the box, she takes her coffee and heads upstairs. "I'll be right back kiddo."

Heading after Beth, Daryl feels his chest tighten again and knocks on her door before going in. Beth is sitting at her vanity, opening the box.

"What's wrong Blondie?" Daryl bounces on thw bed and lays down on his side, propping his head up with his hand.

"You seem happy today." She says slightly upset.

"So? Can't a guy be happy? Yer the one who said you liked this me." Beth has the pills out and looks at them. Purple little ovals, decide the fate of every unborn possibilty- so a woman amd a man don't have to assume responsibilty. "Do you take one or two?"

"This is wrong." She shyly says and Daryl sits up, confused.

"What is? Is it not the right box?"

"No, that you don't care about getting rid of it."

"There isn't even an it. Beth, this is what you wanted." Daryl sits on the edge of the bed and Beth feels small. Very very small.

"I wanted you to use a condom to avoid a situation like this. But it happened. Evedything happens for a reason- and God wanted the possibility for us to be pregnant. I can't just take a pill and undo what could have already been done. I don't believe in that."

"Well I don't believe in God, or fate, or children. So yer taking the pill, Beth." His happy mood has flown south and Beth furrows his brows.

"I'm not taking them. If there is a chance that I'm pregnant- then I'm having the baby. It's the right thing to do."

"Then this- us- will never happen."

"Then I quit. You can tell Rick why. Congrats- you wanted me gone. I'm gone." Grabbing her things, she thtows the pill package at him and trudges down stairs- not evem saying goodbye to the kids. Racing down the stairs, Daryl stands in the doorway, watching her pull out.

Shit. Rick is gonna be pissed.