Chapter 14: New Guards Part I

The king knew her plan; he knew they would follow her into it. What they didn't know was that they would be locking themselves into his own trap. They think they could change him. But he can change them, and that's what he'll do. He would turn their own game against them. And then use them to escape the island and march towards Olympus. He would make sure Olympus would be reduced to ashes. And the gods locked up in Tartarus, where they truly belong.

He would show no mercy to anyone who has ever defied him or hurt him. And the ones who trespassed on his island would be punished the most. He would take what belonged to him, control. And he would destroy anything that came in his way. Even if it was the most thing he held dear.

*************

"That's your plan! Annabeth this is suicide! It would be too obvious." Jason argued.

"No one asked for your opinion Jason. We're going to do it whether you like it or not. And if you're too scared then you don't have to come along." Piper snapped at him, clearly irritated with his presence.

Jason pretended not to have heard her, but the hurt look in his eyes was easy for everyone else to notice. He glanced at Hazel, sitting next to Frank who was lying on his bed. Still hurt from his punishment. "Hazel, Frank you can't possibly be considering to take part in the competition. Our plan would be too obvious." Jason tried to explain.

Frank shook his head. "Jason I'm sorry to say but I'm on Annabeth's side in this. We have to get started on the quest. Everyone would think we're just trying to fit in. No one even knows what we are exactly here for. Either way I can't compete, I'm badly hurt. But the rest of you should." Frank said glancing at Hazel and smiling.

Annabeth couldn't happen but frown at the sight of the happiness Frank and Hazel were in even in the darkest of time. It was something she lost, happiness and love. When she lost Percy, she lost the two things she cherished too.

But she had other things to worry about. Annabeth knew she had to do her ultimate best and sacrifice everything to get Percy back. And she would. She had high hopes that her plan would succeed. The plan was simple. Thanks to the research Hazel and Nico have done at the library, they found out that the Forest of Blood, the island was divided into nine parts. Each part was ruled by someone who belonged in a group of people called the Upper Guards and the ruler of the island ruled over all of them. They served as the king's or queen's closest advisors and guards. Every year a competition is thrown by the king or queen of the island for competitors willing to earn a spot as one of the Upper Guards, even the year's previous Upper Guards have to fight for their spot back. And there are only nine spots available.

If at least Annabeth, or one of her friends can win their selves a spot as an Upper Guard they'll be able to get closer to Percy and manage to fit in more. No one would even dare to question them since they hold a high position in the island.

But it was the competition Annabeth was worried about, she didn't want anyone to risk receiving a horrible painful injury. Frank is already out because of his previous injuries from getting tortured. But Annabeth didn't want all of them to win a spot, it would be too obvious that their up to something and she didn't want anyone getting suspicious of their plans, especially Octavia.

"We better get going to get ready." Piper said as she tied her hair into a ponytail. "The competition is about to start."

********

The competition took part in the camp's arena. It was like a colosseum but instead the battle field was covered in every corner, it was a cage meant to trap the opponent and the monster they have to battle. There is no escape.