Chapter 28: Pandora's Box Part I

It was early December in New York as Jason, followed by the others, made his way to the entrance of the Empire State Building. The arrival of war had begun to weigh him down with fear of the darkness. He knew what he had to do when the time comes, he had revised the plan several times but he was still uncertain of how events would unfold, whether to his will or not.

He ignored the strong icy wind that beat against him and entered the building's lobby. Business men and woman covered in coats, to block out the cold, filled the area. None of them cast a weird glance their way as the teenagers stopped in front of the receptionist's desk. Just like last time, the receptionist was buried in his newspaper, unaware of his surroundings.

Jason sighed deeply and said. "Sixth hundredth floor, please." The receptionist looked up, he rolled his eyes and folded his newspapers as he realized who they were. "Your bunch never gets tired, do they?" He fished the card from his pocket and as Jason extended his hand to grab it, the receptionist pulled it back. "Are the Olympians aware you intend to visit?"

"Yes," Reyna lied. "It's not our fault you weren't informed."

"He's never informed." Hazel muttered behind her. "We're in a hurry, so just give us the card." He rolled his eyes once again and handed Jason the card, which he instantly snatched. They made their way to the elevators that were thankfully empty.

Once they were in, Jason slipped the card into the slot and pressed the button that had magically appeared after. As the elevator shot towards the sky, silence overtook them. Silence had grown to be a friend amongst them, as war neared. The elevator came to a halt as it arrived at their destination. It opened to reveal Olympus before them.

As they stepped out, Reyna marveled at the city. "It really is beautiful, did Annabeth design all this?" She asked.

Jason nodded in response, the city really was beautiful. He couldn't image Percy ruling over it instead, it would turn into a wasteland with his army living in it. "First off, we need to find a secure spot to prepare. We'll head to the woods that are just outside the city, we won't be spotted out there. Come on, we need to ready by nightfall."

They turned away from the city's entrance and escaped into the woods. After an hour of arguing to decide which spot was the most suitable, they came to an agreement to take shelter on a hill that overlooked the city and the tall trees that surrounded it would cover them. Once they had unpacked and set up the tents, they gathered around Jason to examine a map of Olympus' palace.

"This is the hidden library," Jason explained, pointing to a spot on the map that is secured by many hidden room and traps in the palace. "Chiron said that the box would be there because the Olympians hide all history's valuable objects there."

"How will we possibly enter the palace, it is heavily guarded?" Hazel asked.

"Our best chance is from the top. You can all wait at the back gates of the palace. Me and Frank will enter the palace from above. We'll ambush the guards guarding the back entrance from all directions, therefore they won't be able to call for backup." Jason said.

"What about the celebration the Olympians are holding, every god and minor god in the city will be there?" Leo asked. Before any battle, the Olympians would throw a celebration for good luck. The celebration served as a reminder that they could win, it was the perfect distraction for the demigods. They would have a chance to sneak in and out, unnoticed.

"Don't worry, I'll take care of that." The demigods jumped from their place as Poseidon appeared behind them. The demigods exchanged worried and surprised glances before the sea god could explain. "Don't worry, I'm on your side in this, Chiron contacted me."

"Lord Poseidon, no offense, how would we believe you?" Jason asked as he folded his hands across his chest.

"Unlike Zeus, you plan to give my son a second chance, you plan to reason with him again. With my help you'll easily be able to navigate through the palace tonight. I'll distract the gods and minor gods from leaving the throne room. Your job is to take care of the guards." He explained.

They exchanged glances once again and came to a silent agreement. Jason nodded and said. "Al right, you're in. We move at midnight."

~

Annabeth stood behind Percy's throne as many campers were pushed by the guards into the throne room and thrown to their knees before Percy. He had ordered the guards to bring to him all the demigods he suspects that might've betrayed him. "Tomorrow Camp Half-blood marches for war and I have this to deal with." He said to her as the last demigod, Vincent, was forced to his knees.

"Therefore, it is best to keep all your plans to yourself or with me. Maybe one of the Upper Guards is a traitor as well." Annabeth said glancing to the Upper Guards who stood at the other end of the room, with Atlanta and Derek beside them. "I already know who it is Annabeth, I'm just here to see their reaction." Percy explained before he turned to face his campers.

"I believe you all know why you were chosen to be brought her." He said as his dark eyes took in the fear of each villain. "You are all suspects of the fire that had been started last night. If you were in charge of it, I recommend you to tell me now because your punishment would be less worse than if I found out myself."

The demigods all remained silent until Percy said. "If none of you will talk, I guess I'll have to make you talk."

"Please, my lord, why would we betray you? The Olympians' side has already lost." Vincent begged. His call for mercy was followed by several of the demigods demanding the same thing, their voices filling and echoing across the throne room. "Enough!" Percy demanded as he stood from his throne. "If none of you speak, I'll have you locked up and after I win you'll be hanged so you can never see the victory of evil. Take them!" The guards obeyed his order and grabbed the demigods, evading their cries for mercy, as they dragged them out of the throne room.

"I don't understand." Annabeth whispered into Percy's ear. "If you know who it is, why lock them up?" Percy held his hand up for silence and she nodded, bowing her head and standing straight behind his throne.

"I'll explain to you why, later." He muttered, he then turned to face the Upper Guards and said. "All of you leave, along with Derek. Atlanta, you stay, I have something for you to do." The Upper Guards raced out of the room and Derek, without hesitating, followed.

Once the throne room doors were sealed and Annabeth remained, Percy turned to Atlanta, his black blood evident now, and said. "Now explain to me why you started that fire."

~