Chapter 23: Dying Hope

Evil flickered in Annabeth's eyes as Octavia entered the office and sat on the chair facing hers. Octavia put on a smile and glanced at Percy who's dark eyes were scanning both of the girls in front of him. "You requested my presence?" Octavia purred softly to irritate Annabeth. Little did she know Annabeth was resisting the urge to laugh in her face. "Yes. Yes I did." The king assured. "Octavia, when i first arrived to the island, I was told that you've been an Upper Guards since day one. And that you had eyes on the throne." 

               Octavia glanced at Annabeth before answering Percy. "That's true. I won't deny it." Then, the king asked. "How come you didn't fight me for the throne when I first got here? Many did, and failed." Octavia narrowed her eyes and gripped the arms of her chair, she faked a smile and said. "My lord, when I saw the many idiots that went up against you and died. I knew, you would be unstoppable. That proved to me you're the leader we have all waited for." 

              Percy laughed, his eyes sparkling with excitement. "Oh Octavia! I'll give it to you, you're good." The king stood and walked towards her. He looked her up and down, his black blood appearing. His voice turned cold and steady when he said. "And what evidence is there to prove to me that you didn't grow close to me just so you can get the throne?" Octavia's eyes widened as anger flared in them and her face turned red. She shot up and faced him, her voice shaking. "I don't know what that blonde demon told you, but it is all lies." Octavia yelled. 

             The king chuckled. "Please Octavia, I'm well aware of what you wanted ever since we became close. Atlanta herself warned me." The daughter of Ares glared towards Annabeth then dared to look Percy in the eye. "I don't want the throne. I want you to have it, and the throne of Olympus." She defended. At the blink of an eye, Percy had Octavia pushed to the wall, a dagger at her throat, he leaned closer to her and whispered in her ear. "Do you honestly think I didn't notice the poison you always put in my drink? The way you walk around like you own the place?"

             "My L-lord, I've done nothing but supports and respect you. I only want what's best-" Octavia was silenced when Percy pulled the dagger away and shut her down with a look. "Octavia, you're stripped off your title as an Upper Guard and since you've tried countless of times to pull me off the throne, you're sentenced to my prison for a life time." Percy stepped away from her and called his guards. Octavia didn't say anything as shook was plastered across her face. The guards pulled her out of the office, but Octavia managed to meet her eyes with Annabeth's. And Annabeth knew one thing, the next time they cross paths, only one of them will walk out alive. 

               When the office's door closed, Annabeth laughed and clapped slowly as Percy turned to face her. He spread his hands and bowed like a performer finishing his performance. "Was that entertaining?" He asked as she walked up to him and kissed his cheek. He stroked her curls as she buried her head in his chest. "Yes, it was." Annabeth smirked. She loved this. She loved the wickedness their love now possessed, the darkness that couldn't be defeated. She could get used to this. "Now," Annabeth said. "What about that favor I owe you." 

~

Across the ocean, at Camp Half-Blood...

               Slowly, but surely, hope for victory was breaking. Half of Camp Half-Blood's population had vanished as soon as the campers heard of Jason's, Hazel's, Frank's and Leo's failure in retrieving Percy. The demigods who remained were the strongest and most efficient, but Jason doubted they were powerful enough again the enemy's forces. 

               Their only hope at the moment was Camp Jupiter's and Olympus's army, however Percy was full of surprises. "Don't think about it too much Jason." Hazel said noticing the pain and sadness in his eyes. Jason sighed and shifted in his seat, not bearing to look at the many maps laid out in front of him. "What else am I supposed to think about?" She angered her head to the side, her brown curls moving in the direction of the wind coming from the window. "Think about winning this war and your life after it. Maybe you and Piper can-"

               "Hazel, I can't imagine a time after this battle. I don't want to raise my hopes up. Especially when Percy has many tricks up his sleeve." Jason snapped. He didn't mean it to come out so harsh because Hazel flinched from his tone. Hazel stood up, pushing her chair backwards causing it to slide against the wood. "You know what's your problem Jason? You're too caught up with what Percy plans to do, other than focusing on what your army should have prepared." Hazel said before she left his cabin. The son of Jupiter buried his head in his hands, exhaustion had weakened him and the extra stress of having to battle Percy face to face didn't aid him. "I would hate to break it to you Jason, but Hazel's correct." Chiron said, finally speaking. 

               "I'm well aware of that." Jason mumbled. "But the Olympians have denied all our suggestions." He looked up and faced the old centaur. "According to Reyna, even the demigods of Camp Jupiter are scared. They've seen Percy in battle before." Jason added. 

               Chiron chuckled. "Fear is a burden that can be turned into a weapon to aid the soul, if altered correctly." Jason simply nodded and was engulfed in silence as he went back to examine the map the Olympians had marked, showing where each army would stand. "If anything I feel like we're walking into a trap." Jason added. 

             "Why?" Chiron asked. 

               "Because, the Olympians agreed to Percy's terms, they didn't think twice of why he insisted to have the battle on his island. His army is familiar with the woods over there, our army isn't." Jason explained. "Even if I do manage to tell the demigods all what I know about the place, it won't be enough. I've never ventured in that area before." 

              "If you wish, I could contact the Olympians and persuade them to hold a meeting with you and Reyna. You could convince then. Tonight, when you receive updated information from Nico and Piper, you have more information to back you up." Chiron suggested. Jason smiled despite the circumstances, he was grateful to have Chiron as an ally. Jason nodded, accepting the offer. 

~

               "There you are, I've been looking all over for you." Frank said, walking into the Poseidon cabin , where Hazel was seated by the window. "Out of all the places in this camp, Percy's cabin?" Hazel shrugged, not pealing her eyes off the view beyond. "Some part of me still belives we can bring him back. We can save him." 

               "How do you plan to save someone, who doesn't want to be saved?" Frank suggested, sitting across her. "Trust me I would do anything to have him back. But we both know Zeus won't allow it, he would have him killed the moment her can seize him." 

               Hazel exhaled deeply, sniffing and wiping away her tears. "You know, I just thought that after the war against Gaea, we would take a break. You're all family to me. Even Annabeth is gone." Frank gripped her hand tightly. Seeing Hazel like this deeply concerned him, it made him feel useless considering the fact he couldn't bring Percy or Annabeth back. Despite what Percy had done to him, he knew his old friend was buried deep down in the darkness that surrounded him. An idea sparked in his head, maybe the only way to bring Percy back was to trap him away from his island. They had to get him when he was alone. 

             "Hazel, I think I know how we could get Percy to listen to us. It's extremely risky, but could work." Frank said, breaking the heavy silence. Hazel turned away from the window and faced him, a small smile evident on her face. "I'm listening." 

~

               Piper stirred from her sleep and got up to see who came knocking at her door at such an hour. She rubbed her eyes and ran a hand through her hair, trying to tame it. She bit her lip hard to stop herself from gasping when she opened the door to find Annabeth. Her grey eyes sparkled with tears. At the moment, all the anger Piper had piled up in herself towards Annabeth, crumbled. Seeing her like this, it hurt her. "Annabeth, what's wrong?" Piper asked. Annabeth then hugged her, more tears sliding down her cheeks. "I've missed you Piper. I don't want to do this anymore." Annabeth muttered. 

              Piper patted her friend's back, trying to comfort her. "I know, it's okay. Eventually, we'll all be okay."